+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,831
    Thanks
    1,054
    Thanked
    1,215
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm trying to put myself in your shoes and imagine that extra 20 minutes each day just on the school run alone. So currently it takes you 5 minutes to get to school and 5 minutes home again (10 mins, 2x per day = 20 mins in the car to do the school run). If you move it will take you 20 minutes to get to school and 20 minutes to get home again (40 mins, 2 x per day = 80 mins in the car to do the school run). That to me is huge, particularly if you have another child in the car that is stuck in the car for an extra hour.

    Also, factor in hubby's additional travel time of an extra 30 mins per day, which is 2.5 hours extra per week.

    Note: I may have confused myself and be totally wrong in my calculations, so if i am, I apologise.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

    Little Ted  (30-07-2015)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,308
    Thanks
    3,424
    Thanked
    1,831
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    I'm trying to put myself in your shoes and imagine that extra 20 minutes each day just on the school run alone. So currently it takes you 5 minutes to get to school and 5 minutes home again (10 mins, 2x per day = 20 mins in the car to do the school run). If you move it will take you 20 minutes to get to school and 20 minutes to get home again (40 mins, 2 x per day = 80 mins in the car to do the school run). That to me is huge, particularly if you have another child in the car that is stuck in the car for an extra hour.

    Also, factor in hubby's additional travel time of an extra 30 mins per day, which is 2.5 hours extra per week.

    Note: I may have confused myself and be totally wrong in my calculations, so if i am, I apologise.
    It is a lot of extra time and fuel travelling which we worked out would be at least $100/week more.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    on a sandy beach!
    Posts
    6,342
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked
    2,200
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They actually did a segment on the project this week on moving rurally this week I'm not sure if you can YouTube it or something.

    It had Melb and Syd. Homes in Ballarat and leeyton. Then commute times. I'm in SA so different here as basically everywhere in Sa is 30 mins unless you live in country

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

    Little Ted  (30-07-2015)

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,198
    Thanks
    312
    Thanked
    960
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    It is a lot of extra time and fuel travelling which we worked out would be at least $100/week more.
    That's over $5000 EXTRA a year, or an extra 100k in 20 years. Are the houses that much cheaper out there?

  7. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    219
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked
    106
    Reviews
    0
    I would work out where you are going to be happier, it's all about quality of life.
    In my mind there's no point saving a few dollars if you're going to be unhappy or less happy.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alicia111 For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (31-07-2015),Little Ted  (31-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (31-07-2015),waterlily  (31-07-2015)

  9. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,654
    Thanks
    736
    Thanked
    423
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicia111 View Post
    I would work out where you are going to be happier, it's all about quality of life.
    In my mind there's no point saving a few dollars if you're going to be unhappy or less happy.
    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    They actually did a segment on the project this week on moving rurally this week I'm not sure if you can YouTube it or something.

    It had Melb and Syd. Homes in Ballarat and leeyton. Then commute times. I'm in SA so different here as basically everywhere in Sa is 30 mins unless you live in country
    Without traffic maybe. I used to have 2 hours of travel time a day and that was only getting from home in Woodcroft to city.

    Travel time makes a huge difference.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

    Little Ted  (31-07-2015)

  11. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I like to live close to everything. 20 mins to school is a pain. I'm not sure how many/how old your kids are, but have you factored in after-school activities? Are they 20mins away too? That means a 30 min activity turns into 70 mins, and an hour activity means you will be stuck there the whole time, and then drive another 20mins each way, so getting up towards 2 hours.

    Living 20 minutes away from everything just would not work for my family. So I think it really depends on your needs.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

    Little Ted  (31-07-2015)

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    652
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    TO me I wouldn't because it'd mean a fortune in petrol. It really depends on what you want to do though. TIme wise 20 minutes isn't that much although it depends on how often you'd have to do it. In the long run you'd be spending more money. I wouldn't do renovations though they can be expensive and it's almost better buying a different house.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

    Little Ted  (31-07-2015)

  15. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,321
    Thanks
    1,552
    Thanked
    2,537
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There's the petrol cost but you also need to factor in the use of the car (will depreciate faster) and the value of people time spent in that car.
    Eg I can make $50 an hour so an hour spent in a car is $50 lost opportunity on top of petrol/depreciation costs.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

    Little Ted  (31-07-2015)

  17. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,308
    Thanks
    3,424
    Thanked
    1,831
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Okay. So you've talked me back into staying in town. Where we live at the moment is quite central and we do like that.

    Here's the next question - would you continue to make offers on a house that you can't reach the asking price on? It was taken off the market as no one else offered asking price and then raised another $50k? (I will delete this part later). It's now under a real estate that is notorious for raising prices ridiculously and then having houses sit there.


 

Similar Threads

  1. DHA Housing in Melbourne
    By mrskmb in forum Parents in the Armed Forces
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2014, 01:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Carmels Beauty Secrets
An online beauty and wellness site which offers simple and effective time saving methods and tips which help you look younger for longer.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!