+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hairdressers: boys hair cuts

My husband constantly insists our son should keep his hair short. He has thick wavy hair and the hair style my husband likes requires a lot of maintenance (at least monthly trips to the hair dresser). Our son is well behaved for his hair cuts, but he hates having them and wants to grow his hair. I'm sick of the constant upkeep and am happy for him to grow it out to a manageable length that requires less maintenance. My question is what's an easy to maintain longer style for boys? He needs to get a haircut for school photos as he's looking pretty shaggy at the moment and needs a tidy up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is only 12 months old but he has ALOT of hair! It's thick, long and Curley. My DH always insists on him having a hair cut but I told him no it's not happening. It's long enough to touch his nose (his fringe).
    I have to brush his hair twice a day and I normally put it up in a top knot as his hair is a lot shorter at the back haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take him to the hairdresser and tell them you want something lower maintenance. Assuming you always see the same one they would know how his hair is and would have a good idea of what would work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd let your son decide. It's not your husband's hair!

I know this is something that lots of people consider perfectly ordinary (choosing haircuts/styles for kids) but it really bothers me. My daughter (nearly 3) has had her hair trimmed once, because she wanted it. I'd love to have it cut certain ways...but it's not my hair. Unless it's causing significant problems (like consistent tantrums over brushing long hair), then I don't think I ought to have any say.

No advice on specific cuts... but hairdressers ought to be able to make suggestions. They often have books of hairstyles, and would be able to show your son some low maintenance ones and let him choose what he likes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is growing his hair. I get the clippers and tidy up the very back on the longest blade. Like a mini under cut but only about an inch. It's allowing the rest of his hair to catch up. Aside from that I don't get it cut to allow it to grow.

He often has the front clipped back or put up in a man bun until it's long enough to tuck behind his ears. I'm not sure how long he wants to grow it but I'll leave it up to him (he's 5).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    I'd let your son decide. It's not your husband's hair!

I know this is something that lots of people consider perfectly ordinary (choosing haircuts/styles for kids) but it really bothers me. My daughter (nearly 3) has had her hair trimmed once, because she wanted it. I'd love to have it cut certain ways...but it's not my hair. Unless it's causing significant problems (like consistent tantrums over brushing long hair), then I don't think I ought to have any say.
    I absolutely agree! He attends quite a conservative school, so it can't be beyond his collar. But other than that I think the style is up to him! I've tried to grow it out before and DH takes him off to the hairdresser and cuts it all off!

We've not found a hairdresser for him yet, I might take him to mine.

I've looked at Pinterest, I might try to work with it a bit. What kind of product can I use?