+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    It depends. Changes each year.

They accept the top x number of students and whatever student x's ranking was, then that becomes the cut-off.

There's a good chance that it will go up due to increased demand and the small number of places.

This year there was over 800 applicants with 175 offers, last year there was only 455 applicants with 129 offers.

That's why the 2015 cut-off jumped to 81 from 67 in 2014. But in 2013 the cut-off was 82, so it really depends on how many applicants there are and how high their ranks are. Difficult to predict sometimes.
    Thanks for that. Explains the jump from 2014-2015... Do you know why the offers changed so much? I would have thought the intake was fairly consistent year to year?
    I've been wondering why the rank is so much lower than Griffith and UQ, maybe they accept more students? Or it's just not as popular a uni? My fear is that this year it won't be that much lower. But I'm a bit of a worrier so hopefully I'm overthinking things as usual!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My appointment with the psychic is next Wednesday. So the stat results wont be far behind anyway. But it cant hurt for a bit of fun haha

Im jealous of your 88 Pushka! My rank is an 82 from my diploma. Im hoping its enough. or that i did well in the stat. Im kind of disappointed that my diploma wasnt a graded diploma. I did sit a bunch of exams through out and at the end and the lowest score i got was a 98% so my rank would have been higher but its a competency based diploma. I'll take the 82 though, its better than my school results

Thanks for that info Meredith. Dont you go anywhere. Us newbies need your wealth of information

Thanks
    Reviews
    LeighB, have you confirmed your rank with Qtac? My 88 was a total surprise as I thought it would be an 82 as well... I rang them about something else last week and they told me I had an 88. I considered not doing the stat but figured I'd already paid for it so it was worth having a go for a better rank. At least they can combine the stat results with your diploma ranking so it should go higher!

MeredithGrey, are you studying midwifery? I don't know how to look at your profile... I didn't realise the ACU intake was so much bigger than UQ. ACU suits me so much more with their placement being in a block, and I really want to do it at the Mater! And UQ is a 40 hr week. Can't do that with kids and work so I'll be sticking with ACU. Their open day was really good compared to UQ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    ThePushka, no i havent confirmed it recently. I called them a few months ago to talk about it though. Was yours a competency based diploma too? I might need to call them and see

Thanks
    Reviews

Default ACU Brisbane 2016 Bachelor of Midwifery

I couldn't remember and thought it was just pass or fail but mustn't have been. Was ten years ago! It's worth a phone call just in case!

And Meredithgrey totally agree. If I didn't have young kids or have to work, I'd love to spend 40hrs a week studying and doing placements, but ACU suits my life right now.
    Last edited by The Pushka; 25-08-2015 at 12:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I called QTAC and they said that the 3 unis that i have applied to have all awarded me different ranks. I have an 82 with ACU, and 84 with USC and an 87 with QUT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow. How weird. Didn't realise the uni's could allocate different ranks. Thought that was qtac only... Does that change anything for you as far as how your preferences are set up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Pushka - yep, I'm studying midwifery at ACU now. I started doing part time Bachelor of Nursing there. I went part time as we planned on having another baby soon, and I wasn't 100% sure if I wanted to complete the nursing degree before Midwifery, or switch to midwifery beforehand.
    The subjects I chose to do (2 per semester) were all interdisciplinary, which meant that paramedicine, nursing and midwifery students all had to complete them for their degrees. By doing this I didn't waste any time if I decided to switch to midwifery instead of nursing.
    So I am technically 1st year full time midwifery, but I'm doing the course a little out of whack. I'm doing a 2nd year subject as well as 2x first year subjects. So for this year and next year I will complete 3 units per semester, instead of the usual 4, and then 4 units in the final year (I do plan on doing a subject over the summer break, which will lighten the load in the final year).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Someone's mentioned earlier that ACU placements are all block - that's not entirely correct. First year placement is definitely block, but from second year on it depends on the hospital that you're doing your placement. They may prefer model placement, where you work 2 shifts per week for the semester.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there a compulsory regional placement foggy? I read somewhere that a regional placement is required. How do the work that out? How regional is regional?