+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
    I'm seriously considering taking the offer and also considering enrolling into 3 units. How does it work for placement? Do you have to do all 4 each semester to go on placement at the end of the first year? Can you enroll in 4 and then drop one if you change your mind? I'm so lost!

Can I ask you ladies too, how did you guys make the decission to to bmid at acu. How did you know you didn't want the dual or to nursing first and midwifery after?

And how do you hope to have your timetable set up? I was going to spread it out and go only in school hours but now I'm thinking of doing 2 huge days if I can manage to get it all on 2 days. Start early, finish late. Hopefully that's possible and hubby won't mind.
    Hi LeighB. I chose ACU BMid because it was by far the most flexible of the uni's offering the BMid. And I don't have much desire to do nursing...and there's not much chance of me going rural because of the job my husband does. I asked around some midwives I know and there doesn't seem to be any particular bias towards the dual degree when hiring in a large hospital, unless it's a varied role with a nursing component.

There is a thing called a census date which is about 5 or 6 weeks into the semester, and if you drop classes before this date it won't cost you or go on your academic record as failing or anything. I think you need to complete most of the first year before you can do the second semester placement. I think maybe not the core subjects so it may be possible to do three subjects per semester and still do placement at the end of the first year...but that's one of the things I'll be asking about when I talk to the course coordinator/administrator. I'll let you know what I find out.

I will have my kids in 3 days a week at daycare so I'm hoping to have two big days at uni and one day for study/work as I do need to work as well! I tried this year's timetable a couple of months ago and it looked doable but I'm already freaking out about the day the timetable opens for bookings because I don't want to be stuck with a random class on one day...it's a 40 minute drive for me from home. Anyway, I can only try.
    I really want to complete the degree in 4 years as money is going to be tight...

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's awesome KaylaB! How exciting! I'm yet to look at the timetable too. Hopefully I can make it work for the time I have too.
    It's probably the one course that has the most women with kids so we'll all be in the same boat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. I was thinking of doing 2 or 3 classes each semester. I'd prefer 3 but wasn't sure if I could manage the workload and make sure I get bub time. I guess if I started with 3 and it was too much I could drop 1 class before the census date. Maybe I should look at daycare for two days a week too. hmmm
    I'll make an appointment with the course coordinator/administrator to discuss classes.
    I'm just thinking "out loud".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey everyone, my first time writing on one of these things! Congrats to all of the ladies who received early offers to acu in qld!!! I have applied to acu in melb for mid as first pref and nursing as second for a back up. I sat my stat test and found it pretty difficult too and ran out of time. My overall percentile was 64. I had no idea where that placed me in regards to getting into the course so I emailed acu and they said it converted approximately to an atar of 76. The atar school leavers need to get to be considered for Nursing is 60 and for Midwifery 75.8. Eeeek nail biting. I also have my real estate certificate but I'm not really sure how much that will positively effect my chances. It so crazy how admission differs state to state. I know that it takes a range of factors to gain entry as mature age. They suspense is killing me. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much about the possibility of getting an early round offer on fri and I don't want to be disappointed if I only get a Nursing offer and need to get into Mid that way. Has anyone looked into childcare cost's I have looked into it here and the government provide $1 an hour per child care for approved courses? I haven't looked into it any further yet. I'm hoping to do the 3 year Mid degree full time. I have a 2 and a half yr old and a 5 month old

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats to the girls in QLD who have already gotten offers!!! Great news and very best wishes!!!

Leahesul, I'm glad to see your post as I thought maybe I'd been forgotten, but perhaps Melbourne ACU do their offers at a later date... VTAC says it will be on Friday I think!!! It sounds like you've just scraped in with your score and I have my fingers crossed for you that you get an offer!!! We're in a very similar situation, I have a 2.5yo and a 7mo!! I'm probably looking at doing the course part time, I'll decide once I get an idea of the timetable etc. I looked into child care etc but it doesn't look like our family qualifies for anything more than the regular child care rebate, which is tricky! But hoping to do some child care, some grandparents care!
    Good luck to you!! Friday can't come quick enough!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tell me about it Littleladybojangles! I have been filling up my week so Friday comes quicker! Its friday 2pm to be precise haha...not counting down or anything. Unless ACU decide to email us earlier, a girl can only dream! Our kids are so close in age I am hoping I can juggle the first year full time but like you have said, once I get the time table I can decide if it is too much. Apparently the 2nd and 3rd year has less subjects so less time is needed on campus. It's the clinical work which I think will be tricky to fit in. I am down on the peninsula so I have a bit of a hike to get to the ACU campus. Did you sit the stat Littleladybojangles?
    Eeek I'm so nervous about Friday. I just need to keep in mind there is 5 rounds of offers annnd it's still an awesome achievement to get into nursing if I don't make Mid.

this is the "jet rebate" for anyone interested; http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/jobs-education-and-training-child-care-fee-assistance

Thanks
    Reviews
    In your first year you will have BIOL121 (1st Sem) and Bbiol122 2nd Sem) which, as the course code states, are biology/human body/science/pathophysiology units.
    They are very indepth, thorough and time consuming, and can very easily feel as though each unit contains 2 units workloads. These subjects have the highest fail rates.
    Just a though for those weighing up full time/part time workloads.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to foggy For This Useful Post:

LeighB  (19-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Foggy! I definitely don't want to have to feel like I have to choose between my study or being mum. I read that you have a full time work load? How are you finding it with your lo?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Leahesul, thanks for letting me know about it being 2pm!! Haha How'd you find that out?? I would have been checking from the moment I woke up so thanks haha.
    I didn't have to sit the test because I went to uni after school (2007-2008) and then 2 years ago starter a online primary school teaching degree (through UNE in NSW) I completed 4 units over two semesters, then stopped to have DS... but I've decided midwifery is something I feel more passionate about.... Fortunately though I got really good results so hopefully that's enough to get me in... Fingers crossed.

I'm in Kilsyth so not quite as much of a hike but definitely a change in lifestyle, I've never had to go into the city for work or study so it'll be a fun experience!!

Thanks for that info Foggy, I was told the same thing at the open day..... Good to hear that confirmed again and kind of cements my plan to study part time a little further.
    Last edited by LittleLadyBojangles; 19-11-2015 at 12:21.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleLadyBojangles For This Useful Post:

Leahesul  (19-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congrats Kayla! That's great news! This is all so exciting!

Sounds like we will have similar timetable goals pushka. I'll be lucky enough to have both of my kids in school next year. I still want to be available as much as possible for them. Ill be trying not to be at uni on a Tuesday morning so I can go to parade for them and Friday arvos so I can be there if they have special events like easter hat parade and the like. There will come a time where things clash of course but ill try my best.

Hmmm, that gives me something to think about Meredith. Are you in QLD? do you have any insights into what graduate employment prospects are looking like. I was reading the other day the state government have promised 4000 new graduate nurse and midwife jobs over the next four years. I hope so. Should take some of the pressure off when finding a grad job.

Hello and welcome Leahesul best of luck with your application. The stat test was way harder than I expected too. Id hate to think what it would have been like if I hadn't done so much preparation. I have known people who have done no prep because they say you cant study for it and then done really bad. You should be proud of your result. It seems it will be enough to get you in and that's the main thing Good luck to you and LLB for the early round on Friday

I'm really looking forward to those units Foggy. I love biology and have done well in the past. I hope I can do well this time too. Might be worth just doing 3 units though maybe?? Are you doing the full 4 units per semester? Id also be interested to hear how you have found the work load. Have been on or are you going on placement soon? Do you happen to know what unit is usually dropped if you only do 3? and also, what is the parking like there? I was reading on their website that they are building another car park or something. Is that right?

acurtis- how are things going with you? How did things go with having bub?

I haven't yet had a good talk with hubby. But once I speak with him I think I will accept my offer. If after a year I want to change to the dual then I will.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeighB For This Useful Post:

Leahesul  (19-11-2015),LittleLadyBojangles  (19-11-2015)