+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pretend Play

Hi,
    Long Time reader first time post, my DD is 3 in a couple of weeks, the maternal health nurse at her Childcare recommended speech therapy

We have been a few times now our speechie isn't worried about the words she's concerned about the lack of eye contact and pretend play, she says DD is on her own agenda, she has noticed improvement since the first visit, looking for any advice anyone can give

She's not interested in dolls at all so the speechie is finding it hard to do the whole cup if tea with a doll when she's not interested in a doll, is that a bad thing?

Thanks in advance

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    no some kids dont do dolls ...

what kinds of toys does she like playing with? maybe sit down and play games with those ... Dora? Thomas the Tank engine? Pony's? stuffed teddies? animals?

does she like crafts/drawing? maybe you could make up a story?

build a cubby and have a little play in it creating a story around your cubby ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Does your little girl do anything by herself? Books? Watches TV? iPad? Maybe she likes trains? Drawing? Try that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Some of the observations your speechie has made are traits displayed by children with ASD.

Have you had any concerns that your DD might be on the spectrum? How delayed is her speech?

My DS has moderate ASD and when he started going to speech therapy (before he was formally diagnosed) the speechie often struggled to gain his attention - he'd always be pushing his own agenda, or he'd get fixated by a certain item, like the clock on the wall. It was difficult for her to engage him in pretend play exercises.

Happy to answer any questions you may have. My DS is almost 4.5 now and he has made good progress through early intervention therapies, and now enjoys pretend play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That makes me feel a bit better, yeah she loves stuffed toys, and drawing, playdough and loves playing outside , weather hasn't been good for that though - thanks for your reply

Thanks
    Reviews
    She does watch TV, has Ipad time (although we try to limit that) we are big peppa pig fans in our house, loves balls, catching throwing etc

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    maybe take some playdough to your next speechie visit and get the speechie to do that with her.

It always will make a difference if they are engaging in an activity SHE wants to do rather than one the Speechie set but she doesnt like.

good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had wondered whether the speechie was thinking ASD but hasn't directly said it, neither has daycare or the MCHN

She has plenty of single words and even two words and are very clear, our speechie says she doesn't have the doing words, which when we listen to her it makes sense. DD makes eye contact with us and we are making more of an effort to ensure she makes eye contact with us. When we visit our speechie DD hardly looks at her and doesn't really acknowlege her

Speechie has suggested once we work on the Pretend play and the eye contact the speech will come

Day care have commented that her speech has improved in the last couple of weeks

She can count to 10 no problems, to 20 with some assistance, can count backwards from 10, and can do the ABC with some prompting

Speechie told me she cant fix her in a couple of visits is a long term thing.....(which i was kind of expecting anyway)

i guess its just frustrating i know she does stuff but when asked or promoted to she wont

thanks again for your feedback - appreciated