+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Sleep over

In your opinion is 2yo too early to go to a sleep over at a friends place or not.

I'm unsure because my 2yo is on the sensitive side. I'd be inclined to decline but the other mum keeps offering the sleep over and telling how her son would be so happy to have DS there.

Last time we went to a play date as this friends place said friend didn't want DS there and was clearly upset with DS.
    They are only toddlers and get quite emotional about their toys and sharing etc.
    So I'm very unsure about leaving DS for the night.

We have no family in Australia so he doesn't even get sleep away at his grand parents etc.

Anyway I would love some mummy wisdom ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it would depend on the nature of my relationship with the parents and the temperament of my child. If the parents were really close friends of mine that I had known for years, then maybe. If my child was a pretty easy going child who I was confident would cope fine without me there, then maybe.....Overall though I think it's probably too young for most kids.

ETA: It would also depend on the reason for the sleepover. If it was 'just because' or for a play date then yes it's too young in my mind (for my kids anyway).....if it's because you want a night off or have something on then not too young!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (29-07-2015),FearlessLeader  (29-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For my current 2 year old defnitely not, he is a really difficult child and I'd never burden him on someone else, especially for sleep time.

For my previous children, again probably not but only because I myself wasn't ready to let them go, I was very very attached! haha. If my 3rd was a different type of child I might consider it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sleep over

For my 2 kids, 2 would be too young for a sleepover with friends. My 2yo has only ever had one sleepover with grandparents. Around 4yo is when I've started leaving for play dates without me during the day. Not sure if that's just my kids though - they aren't super confident.

I guess it depends on the child and how close they are to the friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope.. i wouldnt let my 2yo sleep over at a friends. Play during the day.. possibly even dinner.. but overnight, not unless they were a really good friend.

I do let them sleep at grandparents though. We have lived away from family and had no support, another mum & I used to take turns babysitting for the other. I completely trusted her but still wouldnt do overnight.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    For me it would depend on the nature of my relationship with the parents and the temperament of my child. If the parents were really close friends of mine that I had known for years, then maybe. If my child was a pretty easy going child who I was confident would cope fine without me there, then maybe.....Overall though I think it's probably too young for most kids.

ETA: It would also depend on the reason for the sleepover. If it was 'just because' or for a play date then yes it's too young in my mind (for my kids anyway).....if it's because you want a night off or have something on then not too young!
    This! I would also not send DD to anyone's house but my mum or MIL because she's still a horrendous sleeper and I wouldn't wish that on anyone

Another factor for me would be how close by they live, and whether you trust your friend to call you if your DS is upset. If I could go get them fairly easily I would be more inclined to say yes.
    I don't think sleepover play dates are at all necessary at that age.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Way to young for mine. My DS1 stayed a couple of nights with his grandparents when he was almost 2, when DH and I went away to a wedding, and 1 night with his Aunty when DD was born and he was 2. And 1 night at a kindy sleepover when he was 5. Other than that my kids have never had a night away from me or DH.
    My DS1 is 6 now and still doesn't have sleep overs with friends.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope I wouldn't. Our best friends have a 4 yr old son and our 4 yr old son is best friends with him, I would not even be comfortable letting him spend the night. Although he has once only because his little brother was rushed to hospital and dh and I both went with him, it was late at night and I knew ds1 would be a bit of a handful. I also wasn't expecting to be stuck in emergency for 8 hours! I ended up picking him at at 3:30am because he didn't want to spend the night and I promised I would go and get him.

Personally I think 2 is far too young, my boys are quite sensitive and like to have mum and dad around. I'd be worried that they would get upset or possibly not be able to sleep in a strange bed etc.

If my friend had a spare room then I wouldn't be opposed to spending the night there with my little one for a bit of fun, but no way I'd send him on his own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the grandparents I would at 2 but not to a friends unless an emergency.
    My dd was 4 when she slept over at a friends but they are also our next door neighbours, not sure when I will let her have a sleep over at friends.
    At 2 it would also depend on how close the friendship was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    2yo?! That's way too young for a friend sleepover! It's really unnecessary... why not just have a playdate and then let them go home to sleep. They're just babies!

If it was for family/emergency/babysitting purposes then that would be a little different.