+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats @MGC Bertie that's quite some birth story, but the main thing is that little Josephine Jean is here safe and sound. I hear you totally about being exhausted and not getting a spare minute to get onto the computer, it's very much like that, between feeding, changing, settling, sleeping yourself etc, but of course totally worth it. Looking forward to hearing more about baby Josephine

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicky1977 For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little Matthew is good thanks @AceOfBase At the moment he is going through his unsettled period in the morning, which is a lot better. Although today I needed to get a shower, and my Mum was lying down as didn't feel so good and Matthew was wide awake and not wanting to go down in his pram, so I remembered I had a baby bouncer for him, so used that for the first time, put him in that in my bathroom so I could have my shower and he could still see and hear me. Next I will have to practice putting on my sling and getting used to that so I can put him in it. Luckily my Mum is here so doing most of the household tasks and I can just concentrate on looking after him. As for your GD, just keep thinking to after your baby is born and you can maybe have a couple of those treats that you have been denying yourself recently, I found is such a luxury to be able to have some chocolate, and a piece of cake

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nicky1977 For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (17-08-2015),MGC Bertie  (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congrats again @MGC Bertie! Such a lovely news!

Glad to hear so many bub stories.
    @AceOfBase: I saw my educator on Wed. She thought i am borderline GD and wanted to wait for another week to see if metformin has done its job. In the meantime, she cut my carb intake even more. From 1 cup to 1/2 rice/noodle, 2 slices of bread to 1. The strict level is < 7.4 for one hr test but she was OK with the low 8.0. She wanted me to avoid insulin if possible -- too troublesome etc. Ha...i almost wanted to tell her that it is OK because i am used to needle by now even though i have needle phobia. It can't be worse than clexane!

OB saw me today and he still thought i have too many >8.5 even with the diet. I'll be on 2 x metformin from tomorrow. And he seems to keen to put me on insulin soon since this has been going on for so many weeks now. I'm not a sweet tooth so no cake etc isn't bothering me. I find it so strange. You are pre-diabetic but yet diet does the trick for you. My fasting always comes back OK. It just goes nut after breakfast. I'm now worried that bub might develop type I because of the gene pool..........

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (17-08-2015),MGC Bertie  (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations @MGC Bertie so happy for you. Sounds like the birth was quite an adventure but you obviously had a wonderfully supportive team around you. Enjoy those precious cuddles and looking forward to more updates.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Essence08 For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nicky.... baby J also has at least one crying / screaming session per day - when I say "session" I mean the whole time from one feed to the next feed. I just can't work it out, since all other sessions in the day she sleeps easily from one feed to the next. It's bizarre. We've been trying to wake her up for half an hour before each feed to try to tire her out, but to be honest, most of these times she just sleeps through all our prodding and poking, and then later when we want her to sleep she won't!! Go figure!! DH is excellent with her, and will rock her for hours trying to get her to sleep in the unsettled period.

Bbhope.... I think with GD, the strict diet works for some people, but unfortunately not for others. If you have to go on insulin, then so be it :-(

I was lucky that I could stay in hospital as long as I wanted (combination of her being premmie and having a cs) so I was able to express for a couple of days at the hospital and managed to get my milk to come in fully a whole day before being discharged. I wasn't sore at the hospital, but as soon as I got home it was becoming painful, extremely painful to BF. After two days and clenched teeth a bit of googling made me realise that she wasn't latching on properly, and now it's probably 80% better.

Tomorrow the community nurse (or whoever she is) is doing her home visit - sometime between 9.30am and 3.30pm - talk about not committing to a time. Hopefully she can give me some more tips for BF properly, or put me in touch to a lactation consultant, as my poor boobs don't know how they'll cope with this for 12 months, and I thought BFing would be a more pleasant experience for me.

As the nurse is coming, I've also been bossy the past two days making DH pick up things and put things away. I really don't know why I'm fussing as my house is pretty tidy, clean and neat, no clutter etc but for some reason I feel like she's checking up on the home environment, as much as the baby. I keep catching myself thinking that there has to be many, many worse houses and worse home environments than mine, but the OCD in me keeps coming out!! DH goes back to work tomorrow, so it will be my first day alone when the nurse visits!! Will I be fast asleep and not hear the doorbell? Will the nurse visit right at feeding time, because if J doesn't get her feed exactly on time she screams the house down!! Tomorrow's also bath day, but I think attempting that alone for the first time, with the prospect of the nurse turning up to hear J scream blue murder (as she hates being naked) is also a bad idea, so I think I'll hold off another day for the bath.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MGC Bertie For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Nicky1977 I love that you use the baby bouncer for Matthew whilst you’re having a shower, I did the exact same thing for my DS1 and plan to do the same again. Hope the sling goes well too. I have 3 different ones and look forward to trying them out. You’re mum sounds amazing, so happy she is helping out. Yes, I do look forward to eating some treats after bubs is born. The one thing I miss is those creamy pasta salads you get from Coles/Woolies. I don’t know why, buy I can’t wait to eat that and a ham sandwich too. And maybe a piece of cake.

@bbhope I really hope the 2x Metformin can help your blood sugar levels. It’s so frustrating when you eat the right things and levels don’t behave. My SIL is Type 1 diabetic and is on insulin and has had 2 babies, who are both fine. If you need to go on insulin, then that’s what you need to do, it’s for the good of bub and that’s what’s important. Yes, I was pre-diabetic and just watching my diet seems to be the thing. My problem is I have a good reading and think it’s OK to indulge in something naughty, then, bam, my next reading is high. Grrrrr, I am so silly. I just have to keep thinking that I’m doing this for my precious baby and then I don’t feel the need to be naughty. I don’t know if there is any link to type 1 diabetes in babies if mum had GD during pregnancy, but if it’s worrying you please ask your educator next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those ladies who have already had their bub, I need your advice please. I need to buy some maternity pads, how many should I buy? They come in a pack of 10, so how many packs should I get?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @AceOfBase I would get 2 packs of maternity pads and a pack or two of normal pads to start with and then see how your flow is. At the start it will be quite heavy but then you might find that is really decrease a lot and you can just use normal pads and then go to liners. I bought heaps of pads this time because I bled a lot after my first birth but after my second birth I didn't bleed as much (my lucky work mate, due 5 weeks after me, got all my left over pads. So I would just buy as you need them based on flow.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to akakura For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (19-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @AceOfBase I agree with @akakura - get 2 packs. I had a c-section and used 1.5 packs but probably could have done with one then moved onto regular pads. Get a big pack or 2 of those! I'm 6.5 weeks along now and my bright red bleeding only stopped last week. I'm now using libra dry liners for the last spotting. I was surprised to bleed so long but started doing housework things like vacuuming at 3 weeks which would aggravate things apparently.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (19-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @McG Bertie Congratulations!! Josephine is such a lovely name, I love it. Bummer to hear your epidural was horrible. I wanted to avoid one, got one, and have been singing their praises ever since. I was so worried and didn't feel a thing. Tho, I was pretty far along at the time and in terrible pain, slightly dulled by morphine. Horses for courses I guess.

All the best in the next couple weeks. It's tough.

@AceOfBase I'd get 2 maternity, and two regular - but long. Libra Super Sport are great. You need the long ones for overnight, and I found I did a lot of sitting in the hospital. And cheap black knickers you can toss when you get home.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (19-08-2015)