+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I'm surprised at how many posters say it's up to the parents.
    I had a thread a couple of months ago about the same issue - what to call biological grand parents - and I was told it was up to the grand parents to pick their names.
    I think with biological grandparents it should be their choice but with step-gp's it should be mutual. It will all depend on the bond the middle generation have with the steps. I know that there was never any idea that my kids should call my mum's partner grandpa and to be honest I would be offended if he expected it as he has made no effort to be a part of our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I think with biological grandparents it should be their choice but with step-gp's it should be mutual. It will all depend on the bond the middle generation have with the steps. I know that there was never any idea that my kids should call my mum's partner grandpa and to be honest I would be offended if he expected it as he has made no effort to be a part of our family.
    I agree. Also, as with my case, my parents new partners came into my life when I was an adult so I don't see them as parental figures at all, particularly given they are closer in age to me than to my parents. They are both very much a part of my life and are prominent, important people in my kids' lives but they don't hold a position equal to my parents or my PIL. It's obviously going to be different for each family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It 100% depends on dynamics in this situation. My step mum and Dad have actually seperated, but they had been married since i was 4, so she played a big part in my life. I always called her parenta grandma and grand dad. My mum and her actually get along quite well now that she and dad seperated 😅

I wouldnt consider giving her a 'grandma' name if she and dad had only been together for the last two years kind of thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I'm surprised at how many posters say it's up to the parents.
    I had a thread a couple of months ago about the same issue - what to call biological grand parents - and I was told it was up to the grand parents to pick their names.
    When I was pregnant my dad entertained the idea of having some foreign name (I think it was Bobo from memory). I vetoed it. Our family have no exotic roots whatsoever (white convict heritage). It made no sense to choose such a name. We ended up settling with Nanny & Poppy.

I think the parents should consult with the grandparents to see if they can agree, but the final say should sit with the parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it should be up to the grand parents.
    I went through this recently.
    My only rules were that I didn't want to have 2 nans or anything.
    So because my parents were Nana and Pa because of my niece and nephew they were always going to be the same.
    My MIL wanted to be Nana and I said no.
    I though it was disrespectful for my mum to then be called Nana Mae etc....
    So she chose Gramma, I don't like it, but it's not my choice.
    I secretly hope my kids grow up and call her Granny or something because I don't like her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS calls my mum 'meemah' and my DH mum 'nanna' he calls his 2 step grandfathers 'Ben' (his name haha and 'g'dad'