+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Au Pair experiences please

Hi I personally have never employed one bit know a lot of people who have. Their main comments are:

Get someone with experience and not just a backpacker.

Get your kids prepared for the idea that the au pair may not want to hang out with them on their days off. This is the main reason we haven't used one is our kids are too young to understand that while the nanny is still in the house they aren't their nanny Saturday / Sunday etc.

Be very very clear about what you expect them to do all day. If all your children are at school is their day free for them to do as they please or do you expect them to do jobs and cleaning etc? The less you ask them to do the less you pay them. But be very clear. Friends of mine recently had a terrible experience because it was all a bit too casual and the mum felt let down whereas the au pair didn't realise exactly what she was meant to be doing.

$200 a week is pretty good for a live in. You may struggle to find someone for less. As for getting used to them in your house apparently everyone I know said they just slot in and it works.

Good luck x
    Last edited by Sonja; 29-07-2015 at 22:53.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (30-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes we are going through an agency so these are all people who come here wanting to be an au pair. They state $170 a week on their site and we have our phone interview tomorrow.

As part of the process you write a letter outlining your family dynamics and structure etc and what exactly you need them for and what would be expected. We have five kids but they are all 5 and over so fully understand, plus our teenager does not need care, he is very self sufficient and will have an after school job so the Au pair won't need to do much for him. Our kids are pretty easy as we don't have any toddlers/babies and just spend their home time playing together outside so there isn't a lot of full on 'baby sitting', just an adult to be there and a companion. We would just appreciate an extra pair of hands, mainly to take them to their after school activities as we both will be working full time from next week (moving in on Sunday Argh) and then just light stuff like maybe packing the brekky away and popping a meal that I would have pre prepared in the oven to give us more family time once we get home. We have said we don't require anything from them on Friday, Saturday and Sunday so it's really just the 2 days our youngest is home and the after school stuff.

I will make sure I explain to the kids that they are in the country to be able to do their own thing also, luckily they are all old enough to understand this.

Now I just need to go and buy a queen bed!

Thanks all . Hoping it works out, not sure what we will do if not😱

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Also, I think having another adult in the house will help me keep the house clean haha, I would be too embarrassed to leave it messy so it should be a win win 👍