+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default WWYD - Stranger in shopping centre.

I've had a fair number of Asian people take photos of my DS. He is strawberry blonde, blue eyed, fair skinned with a smattering of freckles across his nose. They often comment how beautiful or handsome he is 😊

It doesn't creep me out as I'm used to it. My parents took my sister and I through most of SE Asia and India as children. We went to many parts that rarely had white tourists. We were often touched (not inappropriately) on our arms, face and hair. Often they wanted their photo taken with us on our camera! I'm blonde, blue eyed, fair and freckled too.

It was weird the first time it happened and took us by surprise but I think it's curiosity more than anything. I even made some pen pals from this happening which was cool 😊

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Truffle For This Useful Post:

Phony  (29-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would love to look through an Asian persons photo album! 😂 I reckon there would be some very random photos in there

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

amyd  (29-07-2015),Meld85  (29-07-2015),Wise Enough  (28-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate when people take pics of my kids without permission. I'm usually very understanding and laid back in general. But this issue just makes me mad. I know it's cultural, that many Asian people find Caucasian kids interesting, but I think it's rude to take a photo without asking first.
    However, I'd find it hard in the shopping centre scenario because you're not sure if he did or not. I'm not confrontational so wouldn't have said anything. If I was sure that's what he was doing, I'd politely but firmly have said "No pictures please" with a smile

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Phony  (29-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    are your kids dark?

my dh is half Indian and I'm blonde and pasty pale. I'm hoping/guessing dh's glossy thick Indian hair will trump my wispy European hair and our kid will be blessed with a decent head of hair 😂😂
    Just to jump in, my step brother is half Indian with thick, dark hair. His wife is Caucasian with dark hair. And their son is really blond and very fair! Ha ha. He really doesn't look like their son. So who knows in your case!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I would challenge anyone who took a photo of my child, regardless of their culture. I'm not a fan of Pauline Hanson or anything but when in Rome...
    I'm not comfortable with it at all.
    It was the uncertainty that had me in a pickle.
    I didn't know how to approach him without coming off as aggressive and then who knows how things would go in front of the children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I walked away thinking, jees, well done - you let your son down there!

GRR, mammy guilt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    are your kids dark?

my dh is half Indian and I'm blonde and pasty pale. I'm hoping/guessing dh's glossy thick Indian hair will trump my wispy European hair and our kid will be blessed with a decent head of hair 😂😂
    Well they aren't white. Dd1 has skin the colour of pannacotta and curly walnut hair with copper highlights. Dd2 has skin the colour of creme caramel and dark chocolate straight hair. I'm very traditional Indian looking so basically DH and I look like we've either stolen the kids or adopted them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If my ds felt wierd about it I would say something.. I have had people ask me for a,pic.. Sometimes I say yeh ok and sometimes I say no if I feel uneasy. I would gauge it on your childs reaction.. Unless ofcourse you felt uneasy about the person but im a wimp and would feel like u did too but bot say anything.. Unless he was half dressed or at the pool or something.
    I actually had ds really uneasy yesterday at a male plumber and I got the vibe too.. So just go with you institution

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kim85 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (29-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My friend just spent 2 weeks in Japan she is blonde hair blue eyed and she said people continually asked to take photos with her.

Saying that, I would've been very uncomfortable of someone *possibly* taking a photo of DS but I probably wouldn't have said anything

14. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

Phony  (29-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My son is fair skin, blond and blue eyes. Yes in our travel in China and Japan people would fuss over him and snap shots without asking.

They would even pick him up for cuddles and everything without asking.

Huge cultural differences.

Depending on my mood I was reacting or not. In Japan I was ok wth it cause they were so friendly.
    In China though it would get really old really fast, especially when you are trying to get a family photo and they jump in with you lol

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Phony  (29-07-2015)