+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default WWYD - Stranger in shopping centre.

We were out and about today in a not so familiar shopping area. Walking back towards the lifts to the car park there was an Asian man (in his 50s I'd guess) who had just reached the lifts ahead of us and was looking at his phone.
    My DS2 is very chatty to everyone we meet while out, so while he ran to push the button to call the lift, he said hello to the man. I laughed a little but when I looked at the man, by the angle of his phone, it looked like he had just taken a picture of my DS. I couldn't be certain though. He was holding his phone in a strange way when we got there.
    Then his phone beeped and he continued what ever he was doing.
    It all happened in a split second and I really can't be sure.

I mention his race because this isn't the first time this has happened and I'm wondering if it's a cultural thing?
    As we were between flights in Abu Dhabi one time, an Asian woman took a photo of the boys. We had exchanged a few pleasantries and next thing she whips out her phone and took a snap.
    I felt weird about it but thought ah, she's a harmless old woman, leave her be.
    But today, gah...I wish I was certain otherwise it's a case of me harassing a perfectly innocent old man.
    CREEPED OUT all the same.
    What would you do?
    Would you confront the person and ask to see their phone?
    I should be more aggressive I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Asians are always taking pics of my DD (she's white blonde hair with blue eyes). it's a cultural thing. Yes it's weird and creepy but I don't believe the pic will be ill used (if there is a pic).

I would only challenge someone if my DD was partially dressed or I felt there was something iffy going on.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (28-07-2015),Phony  (28-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Even males, Wise Enough?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I have had this happen with my DD too. At a wildlife park we went to a few weeks ago I spotted a woman taking a picture of her, then a little bit later an older couple both looking at her and snapping their cameras. I've heard they are just fascinated by the fair skin and hair but still freaks me out

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

Phony  (28-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Even males, Wise Enough?
    Depends on the feeling you get. You know how sometimes get that weird creepy vibe... I wouldn't be ok then. I guess it's just gut instinct that tells you when something is wrong.

I never manage to get my camera open and focused in time to take a quick snap, do you think he had time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is your son blonde/blue eyed? If so, and if the man was a tourist, then yes it could be a cultural thing. There are lots of places in the world where a blonde haired blue eyed child is extremely rare to see, and it's considered culturally acceptable to take photos of strangers' children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see how it would be disturbing but I've also had Asians ask to take pics of my boys. One time was as our local shopping centre and we were asked to sit while the mother and their kids sat next to us! I think it's very much a cultural thing, at the time DS 1 was very blonde and he has blue eyes, and we all have very, very white skin (me more than the boys, I'm like a ghost). I do acknowledge though that it happened surreptitiously, but perhaps he felt awkward asking. I'm a bit trusting though and don't always assume the worst in people, particularly when I think there might be cultural factors at play.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I've had this with my kids too (they are blond hair and blue eyes) by Asian tourists. I managed to put an outstretched hand between DD's face and the camera and gave a polite but firm "no" to the person. It's weird and a bit creepy but I don't think there's anything sinister going on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I never manage to get my camera open and focused in time to take a quick snap, do you think he had time?
    Yeah, he had time as he was messing around on his phone as we walked towards him.

Yep, Renn.
    Blonde and blue eyed, my other two are dark and brown/hazel eyes.
    He wasn't a tourist though, looked like he was just doing his daily errands.

At the end of the day, DS had nothing on him to identify him if he took a photo, it's just a bit unnerving.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD always has pictures taken of her by Asians. I don't really mind.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (29-07-2015),Phony  (29-07-2015)