+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I can't speak for anyone else but for me, life is pleasanter all round if I let df sleep until he is ready to get up. Apart from the fact he shift works so needs to grab sleep when he can, he is like a bear with a sore paw without enough sleep.
    Plus it keeps my body clock steady if I'm the one to get up with them every morning.
    Last edited by Mod-Nomsie; 28-07-2015 at 21:30.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (29-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Can your kids get their own room? Sleeping in must be hard when older kids bunk in with younger kids. Also, give any change in routine a week or more to take affect. Just because one day of cutting the day nap doesn't affect wake up time, doesn't mean a more permanent change won't.

What temp is it in the kids room at 4:30am? What bedding are they in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Can your kids get their own room? Sleeping in must be hard when older kids bunk in with younger kids. Also, give any change in routine a week or more to take affect. Just because one day of cutting the day nap doesn't affect wake up time, doesn't mean a more permanent change won't.

Nope. 3 bedroom house and soon to be 4 kids so sharing is a necessity. They are both up early anyway regardless of the other one, as is my daughter who is in her own room. Their rooms are both pitch black with block out curtains so no sun gets in, and it doesn't seem to make any difference if I dress them really warm or really cool, they get up anyway.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

For my 3yo dd2, it can be pitch black, she can be completely toasty either in her bed or in with me and she still wakes every morning at 5.35am asking for breakfast. "Mummy, mummy, mummy, breakfast? I want oats. With honey mummy. Lots of honey mummy". Of course I don't give it to her till the sun comes up in winter or after 6am in summer but without fail ever since I stopped nursing her.

It's easier to just go with it than fight them. On the plus side, I get all my housework done by 7am on home days in winter. And in summer I get a good long walk every morning with the girls.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (29-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else but for me, life is pleasanter all round if I let df sleep until he is ready to get up. Apart from the fact he shift works so needs to grab sleep when he can, he is like a best with a saw paw without enough sleep.
    Plus it keeps my body clock steady if I'm the one to get up with them every morning.
    I too much rather wake at 5-5.30am every day. It's good for my routine and metabolism. Plus this way I can always justify my midday naps.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (29-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Anyone elses kids wake up stupidly early every single day?

Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Nope. 3 bedroom house and soon to be 4 kids so sharing is a necessity. They are both up early anyway regardless of the other one, as is my daughter who is in her own room. Their rooms are both pitch black with block out curtains so no sun gets in, and it doesn't seem to make any difference if I dress them really warm or really cool, they get up anyway.
    Bummer about the 3 bedrooms but great news about kid nr 4

Is there a heater in the room? Cotton bedding and a nice wool doona? Just checking as cold is one of the most common causes of waking - 5amish is the coldest part of the day and many parents underestimate he a mound of bedding needed.

3 kids consistently waking early - there has to be a root environmental (and not biological) cause (temp, hunger, timing and length of day naps, night routine, aiding to sleep, do mum and dad start their day early etc). Not saying it would be easy (it wouldn't - it takes ages to build habits and ages to change them) but if you are able to identify the root causes and slowly chip away at them over time the sparrows fart wakings can likely be reversed.

If the early wakings are something you are not happy with and want to change, happy to brainstorm ideas either via a post or PM.
    Last edited by VicPark; 28-07-2015 at 20:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am more than happy to be up at 5:45 every day, it just concerns me that most days they're up long before even that. I can't remember the last time I was woken by the kids for the day and the first number on the clock was a 5. It's been a 4 for so long. I'm not so worried about my sleep, or even theirs since they seem happy enough... I'm more concerned about them waking the baby! But hopefully we've managed to explain quiet mornings and keeping their play to the lounge room by Dec when Bub is due

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    I'm more concerned about them waking the baby! But hopefully we've managed to explain quiet mornings and keeping their play to the lounge room by Dec when Bub is due
    I felt the same before my fourth was born. Number 2 and 3 were in a lovely routine of coming in to our bed in the mornings and playing for half an hour before DH and I got up. I was really worried. Once DD3 was born it just meant I got up as soon as one of the others was up and hung out with them on the couch or on their rooms. It wasn't ideal after a night of feeds but I soon learnt to treasure this one on one time as those opportunities are few and far between these days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Wow, that's crazy early. I've been lucky with mine as they have never been early risers. I have to wake my 4 year old up to take the older 4 to school....oh and my teenager would sleep all day if allowed. My nearly 9 year old wakes up pretty early but she will just read or come in for a cuddle or play her iPad for a bit. I feel for those with early risers as I am not one myself! I wish I had words of wisdom but I do not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Last summer my boys went through a phase of waking between 4:45-5:15 every single day

My 3yo is now sleeping till about 6:30ish and my 2yo wakes without fail between 5:45-5:55 every morning. Drives me insane. We have cuddles until his big brother wakes up, so as least I'm not jumping out of bed straight away I guess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast