+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamyMummy View Post
    Understandably is costs money but I do think it's a bit steep! What does that include? Does the website check credentials of nannies/babysitters that apply? Because If they don't than I don't see how it's different to advertising somewhere else.
    From what I know no they just group the ads by suburb. It used to be a lot cheaper. If people find it too expensive there are other options which are free as PP have noted.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (28-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't ever seen that website and quite honestly, I don't think I'd use it.

The town I live in have a couple of fb pages - a couple of garage sale, buy swap sell sites and a "Community" page. Plenty of people post on those pages looking for local help ie baby sitters, gardeners, cleaners etc.

Locals are more than happy to give recommendations. Personally, I'd rather the person is that's with my dd be known to others in the community.

On these pages, there are families with Au Pairs who have available days/times. Other local mums looking for a little extra income. Search you suburb on fb and see if you have something similar. You may have some of your kids' friends Mums happy to help out for some cash.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    So? They want to attract a lot of nannies etc to advertise positions and they make their money through parents paying a membership. it's a business if you don't like it don't use it. I'm struggling to see what the problem is.
    I'm just saying. I'm on it as a nanny. They could make more money by charging both parties and treating every client (parents and nanny) fairly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I'm just saying. I'm on it as a nanny. They could make more money by charging both parties and treating every client (parents and nanny) fairly.
    In what way are they currently not treated fairly?

They probably charge such a hefty up front fee as if they didn't people would grab others details then 'pull out' of the deal due to a 'change of circumstance' then complete the deal outside of the web service, this avoiding a case by case fee that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    From what I know no they just group the ads by suburb. It used to be a lot cheaper. If people find it too expensive there are other options which are free as PP have noted.
    Interesting. I had presumed there were some checks done. This is why I haven't got around to finding a babysitter in 8 years task seems too onerous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Interesting. I had presumed there were some checks done. This is why I haven't got around to finding a babysitter in 8 years task seems too onerous!
    Not that I'm aware of. They put all the information together for you (or the nanny does) and then you meet them and do your own reference checks. I once got a nanny through an agency and it cost me close to $1,000 to use that service so $90 for 3 months is fine by me as I'm happy to do my own leg work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    In what way are they currently not treated fairly?

They probably charge such a hefty up front fee as if they didn't people would grab others details then 'pull out' of the deal due to a 'change of circumstance' then complete the deal outside of the web service, this avoiding a case by case fee that way.
    They charge parents but not nannies. I won't lie, when I was starting as a nanny it was great because I didn't have a lot of free cash. But the amount they charge parents is crazy, considering all you get is what the nanny tells you, and you have to do all the checking yourself.

ETA: there is no 'deal' made. You private message back and forth and arrange a meeting. No in or out. It is completely up to both parties as if it were gumtree.
    Last edited by DT75; 29-07-2015 at 10:54.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Web site find a babysitter

I've used that site both as a nanny and as a parent, and I think it works well. I've also used gumtree and find a babysitter was so much better- I was stuffed around so much by people on gumtree, I think just having to fill out a fairly long form and include lots of info re. availability etc means that the people using it are less likely to waste each other's time.
    It makes sense to me that parents pay for the service and nannies don't. I was happy to pay for the convenience factor.

ETA when I used it, it cost me $60. $90 seems a bit steep to me. A one month membership for $30-$40 would be ideal.