+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tattooed mummies!!

So I'm looking at getting a 2-3 hour tattoo in the near-distant future.
    The problem is, it's going on my ribs!! Ahh I know! For anyone who has tattoos esp on their ribs, please offer me any advice or tips you can!
    I know 99% of tattooists won't tattoo whilst breastfeeding, my question is why?
    Please no judging it's just a question, and obviously I'm going to wait as there must be a reason they say to wait. Also is there a certain amount of time after bf you need to wait before getting a tattoo?
    I already have 2 (wrist and stomach) what type of pain am I looking at ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I have one on my ribs and side that took 2.5 hours. I won't lie to you it f*cking hurt a lot. I have a few in different places and it was by far the most painful, but my favourite. When he hit the hip bone... omg I've never said the F word more in 2 hours lol But once the outline was done it was smooth sailing, he actually asked if I'd fallen asleep.

As to bfing I think there is a concern ink might seep into the blood ****** and then the milk? I know they won't tattoo when bfing but no one seems to have a definitive reason why. I've also read the risk of hepatitis etc but there is no reported cases of hep/HIV from reputable tattoo studios bc they use disposable needles so I dunno?

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do you sit go so long in all that pain without moving about ? I've only got 2 small ones but I've wanted this one in my ribs for years now and am not turning back now haha

I've done a lot of looking up and reading about tattoos whilst bfing and just can't seem to find many answers other then the ones you commented as to why it's so bad, but ohwell I can wait. Haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    You just white knuckle it. Like I say, probably only an hour was outline and the rest was easy so it won't be terrible for the full 2-3 hours. People always say it goes numb but none of mine ever did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My sisters BFF just got a rib tat (few hours worth) and my sister went with her. She told me it was the worst thing she has ever seen (she has 4 tats herself) and she had to actually hold her friend down to get it finished. It was her friends 3rd or 4th tat but she has sworn of ever getting another. That said she totally loves it

And I'm waiting till the day I'm not BF to get mine done to, if that ever happens

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You just need to get into the zone, where you aren't focusing on it.

I dont envy you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My tattooist said that the whole 'tattoos whilst breastfeeding' thing is just mainly the risk of infection associated with any tattoo. Except of course I have a baby drinking from me therefore the possibility of transferring the infection. As long as you go to a proper studio and look after it whilst it's healing then you'll be fine. He did also say though that he would prefer not to tattoo large pieces as he can't be sure that my body won't react to the shock and in turn reduce my supply. I got a tattoo on my wrist in Jan whilst still feeding my 11mth old dd. Also, my biggest piece was a 3hr sitting. Non stop. It's on my back so probably not as tender as the ribs but still darn painful! You just sit and grin it. I actually found the days after the worst!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just read that back and it's all over the place! I had to settle 2 kids in the 15 mins it took me to write that! Whilst trying not to succumb to the temptation of strangling my snoring husband!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I only have one tattooist I go to, he's the best!

The piece I want is about 22cm long and maybe about 12cm in width, is that considered large ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    That's a decent size. Mine is maybe 30cm X 10cm roughly and it was 2.5 hours without a break so you'd probably be looking at 2. Although it depends how you go.