+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default When did you child start dressing themselves?

Yeah I know I need to stop doing it for her but it's so hard! She hates getting dressed in the morning and just wants to stay in her PJs. She often tries to delay her bath and muck around too. I'm also often doing the dinner & bath routine by myself and getting her ready in the morning. I've got a 1yo as well.

DH and I have decided we'll try to get her to get dressed before she can go downstairs for breakfast in the mornings. That should be a start. I might put out 2 or 3 options so she can choose one to put on.

She can do her own socks & shoes and can also do a zip with a few tries of getting the two bits together to start. I know she's probably capable of dressing herself, we just need to encourage her to do it herself more.

She won't start school until 2017 so we've still got 18 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS is 5 and in his 3rd term at school. I still dress him. If I didn't he'd waltz around naked!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default When did you child start dressing themselves?

My boy is 4 and we wouldn't get out the door if I didn't do it for him. However he now gets a kinder surprise on weekend if he does it himself. He loves this and is getting much better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My almost 4 year old sometimes dresses herself, although has trouble doing ul buttons and zippers

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is five and I still have to help him with putting on shirts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 2yo & 4yo both mostly dress themselves. They need help with putting the 2 pieces of a zip together, some buttons if they are a bit tricky, sometimes stockings. The 4yo was much older than the 2yo though when she learned to dress herself - the 2yo is fiercely independent, and out of necessity has had to fend for herself a bit more due to me being busier! One thing I think helped was making the dress-up clothes accessible all the time at home. If they wanted to wear a pretty fairy dress & my hands were busy, they figured out how to do it themselves. I also get their clothes out the night before & put them in the loungeroom. Usually when I'm having a shower, I will come out & they've dressed themselves. They help me choose their clothes for the next day, so they're usually excited about putting them on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD hates dressing up, she has a fit if I try to put a costume on her! I think she'd happily be naked all day if I let her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Since reading all the replies I've tried taking a step back from helping/dressing DS. Lo and behold, he's able to pick out and put on most of his clothes with no help from me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could have written this post OP. My DS is 4 and can do his pants and undies but refuses to try shirts, he can't do or undo buttons and refuses to put his own shoes on... He always wants me to do it for him