+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default When did you child start dressing themselves?

DD is almost 4. She can pull her pants up & down for the toilet and can undress if she really wants to (but rarely does, usually she insists I do it). She can't seem to figure out how to put shirts on at all. She can do up buttons. Is this all normal or should she be dressing herself by now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing - My DS is 4 in September and I often wonder if I do too much for him.

He can pull up/down his pants for the toilet. He can put them on himself but often they will be backwards.

He can put his shoes on (sometimes they are even on the right feet 😀). He struggles with socks.

Only today, he wanted to put on his shirts/jumpers and he did this fine.

Buttons - he can't do, zips - he can pull up but I need to get it started.

His little mates (both girls who love playing dress up) are able and do get themselves dressed each day (top to toe).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can't remember. It's sooo great when they start though!
    They need to be able to dress themselves by school though, do zips, buttons, socks, shoes etc.
    I think by 4 they should be able to do it. But that's often our fault, not theirs. With my first baby (note: my baby ) I did everything for him because I was used to doing it. Sometimes you actually have to stop and consciously make the decision to let them learn things for themselves.

If I were you OP I would be encouraging her to do it herself. Before a bath, make yourself look busy and tell her she needs to strip off by herself as you are doing xyz. Same with getting dressed. I do remember having to actually teach my kids how to put shirts on though; those things are confusing!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (26-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD was 2 (she's now 3, can do everything herself except zips on the backs of dresses). She is very very independent, hates me helping her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD will be 3 soon, she can do everything except take shirts/jumpers off, do up studs and start zips on jackets. She's been doing the same for at least 6 months.
    Doesn't mean she always does it herself...but she CAN

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS1 was 2... DS2 is 4 and a sooky little monkey, he still gets me go do his shirt. Apparently at his dad's house he can do it though. Mummy = sucker!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My now 5yo dd1 has been dressing herself since she was 3 ish. Just needed help with buttons. But my now 3yo dd2 is super lazy. She will only dress herself if she is about to miss a meal. Otherwise "mummy help me!" Is the catch cry.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    My boys were 4 and well into kinder when I was still helping them dress.
    It was just habit on all our behalves I believe.
    When I got big and fat with dd- so around may or so I just gave up and made them do it theirselves. They would have easily been 4 and a half.
    I knew by prep they would have to know how to do it but figured I had plenty of time. In the end all I had to do was be lazy myself and told them to figure it out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

bun  (26-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds really similar to my son.who's four. He can do it himself but sometimes clothes are back to front if he's not concentrating. Sometimes needs help with tighter socks and buttons.
    Half of the time he can't be bothered to do it himself and moans at me to do it for him. Particularly shoes.
    Drives me nuts!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree it is definitely something you have to make yourself not do. My just turned 5 year old ds is pretty self sufficient when it comes to choosing clothes and getting himself dressed but I was helping for ages out of habit. Now ds2 who is 3 can for the most part dress himself but sometimes flat out refuses, I was helping him for ages too because it's just so much quicker to do it for them 😏