+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't be thrilled but know a couple of (quite paranoid) mums who have done this once or twice. I'd have to say something like "I'm hoping that was a once off cos you were trying to get him milk." I would want to make a point that it's not OK without getting stuck into him too much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At my DH it would be a 4 + a straight talk about what other and better options are.
    However at an exH it would be an easy 8

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't be too angry. Given the full back story I'd be pretty annoyed at him for not being prepared but I've actually done this myself on occasion- although the shops are less than a block away from my house, I don't think I'd get in a car and drive 10 minutes away. But I've left my sleeping 2 year old in the house while I went to the shop... To buy wine and chocolate (emergency wine and emergency chocolate, of course) I will get crucified for saying that on BH but in the actual real world, it's not so uncommon or shocking. Just wanted to put that out there for anyone reading this who is now afraid that child services will come knocking if you step outside the house once the sun goes down.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (27-07-2015),Skyler  (27-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I wouldn't be too angry. Given the full back story I'd be pretty annoyed at him for not being prepared but I've actually done this myself on occasion- although the shops are less than a block away from my house, I don't think I'd get in a car and drive 10 minutes away. But I've left my sleeping 2 year old in the house while I went to the shop... To buy wine and chocolate (emergency wine and emergency chocolate, of course) I will get crucified for saying that on BH but in the actual real world, it's not so uncommon or shocking. Just wanted to put that out there for anyone reading this who is now afraid that child services will come knocking if you step outside the house once the sun goes down.
    Maddie McCann's parents thought the same once upon a time.

I know it's about risk assessment and we all have different levels of risk, so I see where you're coming from, but the risk vs reward for this scenario is far too heavily weighted towards high risk for teeny, tiny reward.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

dido  (27-07-2015),JR03  (27-07-2015),KitiK  (27-07-2015),MissSparkles  (27-07-2015),SAgirl  (27-07-2015),Skyler  (27-07-2015),VicPark  (27-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How angry would you be?

I wonder how important any of these things (milk, wine & chocolate etc) would become if something happened to a child being left home alone.. You would never forgive yourself. Life is too precious to take these huge risks. It makes me feel sick to my stomach thinking about it..

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Maddie McCann's parents thought the same once upon a time.

I know it's about risk assessment and we all have different levels of risk, so I see where you're coming from, but the risk vs reward for this scenario is far too heavily weighted towards high risk for teeny, tiny reward.
    See I disagree so strongly that there's a high risk in this situation. My kids being in a locked house asleep while I go to the shops (5 minutes round trip) are as much at risk as if I was in the shower or on the treadmill and couldn't hear them.
    I really don't think that someone breaking into my house and stealing my kids in the 5 minutes I'm gone is a high risk.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (27-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    See I disagree so strongly that there's a high risk in this situation. My kids being in a locked house asleep while I go to the shops (5 minutes round trip) are as much at risk as if I was in the shower or on the treadmill and couldn't hear them.
    I really don't think that someone breaking into my house and stealing my kids in the 5 minutes I'm gone is a high risk.
    I'm not worried about kidnapping, but I would be worried about fire, or the child waking and leaving the house to try and find me. Both would be prevented with you there. But good on you for admitting something you know if going to get you crucified

Harvs in this situation it's not cool. He knew DS was coming. He could have taken DS with him when he was awake. Once he's asleep you don't need milk anymore. I would be furious. As others have said especially since he's hypercritical of you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post

If DS was upset about no milk I would have expected FOB to take him with him. If DS was asleep = no longer upset he didn't need to leave the house to get milk.

You should leave a child in a house unattended at that age. The only exception would be to get medicine....maybe
    I agree with this and I would loose my sh1t. If he was that upset and the shop is that close than he could have quickly walked to it with him before he put him to sleep.

Give him a new shirt you haven't washed and tell him you have as revenge.

Edit: Just read your update, way to use it as a teaching moment and take the higher ground. But do the shirt anyways.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 27-07-2015 at 05:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    LOL I had to check the date on this thread, I thought someone had resurrected an old one.
    Me too, the week of awesome comebacks apparently

Welcome back S!
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 27-07-2015 at 05:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be very upset (9 or 10). Mostly I would be upset because he only has one child in his care - very easy to bundle up in the car/pram/arms to take around the corner. I also have a DH who works away a lot and have no choice but to take both kidswhich a total pain but the what ifs out weigh the desperation and for me there are no excuses.

Last week my 5 month old wouldn't settle late at night while I was on night duty so dh called a friend over to stay with our toddler (while she was asleep) while he brought DD2 up to me at work so I could feed her, I asked what he'd do if our friend couldn't have come over and he said he would've woken her and brought her too, no contemplation of leaving her alone which I am thankful of. You really need to be secure with the people your children are being cared by and I'm glad he saw how badly things could go when you pointed it out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (27-07-2015)