+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Buying a brand new 4WD

We are in the process of buying a brand new 4wd. Our budget is around $60000
    We want 4WD (not AWD or 2WD) and diesel. 7 seats a must.

So our only options are Prado, Pajero, Patrols
    I really don't like the shape of patrols. I really like the look of Pajero. We test drove a Pajero and it was really good. We are testing driving the Prado this week.

So which one to buy?
    Would love the landcruiser but can't afford the price tag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Always buy a Toyota. The end. Lol

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (26-07-2015),Cat74  (26-07-2015),Cicho  (26-07-2015),Gracie's Mum  (26-07-2015),HappyBovinexx  (26-07-2015),KitiK  (26-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you can look past the Prado. My brother has just purchased the new Prado Altitude ($57K) - it is awesome , and my hubby is currently badgering me for one..! They also hold there re-sale value much more than the others you are looking at...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Things to consider especially if you are going to look at using the rear seats often.

How does the boot door open?
    Are the rear seats one row or separate?
    How does the middle row seat split (50/50 etc)
    Do you have children in car seats?
    Can you fit 3 car seats across?

My friend has a patrol and she has 2 boot doors which is fantastic, they have separate seats in the boots so you can have one down at a time and still have room for shopping,pram etc) but the middle row is split 50/50 which means she can't have a car seat in the centre as the harness slides through the split, she does have anchor points for the rear seats so she can have car seats in which is great.

We have a pajero and especially bought it for the 7 seats, however the rear seat is one row and when up leaves no room for pram, groceries etc, very annoying! Also the door opens out as one huge door and several times I have been caught out if a car has parked too close on my tail I couldn't open it to get things in. The middle row is split 70/30 which is great and the left side seat folds down to access the back row, however there are no anchor points in the boot for car seats which for us is a pain.

I'm not sure about the Prado as it was out of our price range, however when we upgrade we will be looking at a land cruiser a bit bigger and covers all the above issues. Anyway hope that helps. The paj is a dream to drive, and fuel Economy is amazing, make sure whichever you get has a rear camera they are a life saver

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have four kids so the back row will be used everyday.
    Two are in booster seats one will be gone in 12 months. Plus no more prams
    I think the back doors in these 4WD all open as a door not lift up.
    So not sure on the seating arrangements.
    The two extra bonuses I want is the reverse camera and roof DVD player.
    I guess for us a car that seats 6 of us comfortably for long drives plus towing a caravan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely play around inside them all hopping in and out with the kids and their boosters see whichever fits your needs and is easiest to climb in and out of. If they still make the pajeros as one seat in the rear that would be a big deciding factor to me as you loose so much boot space (even without pram just for going away or grocery shopping) especially with 4 kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Toyota lancruiser can't be beaten space wise or what about the Territory? Loved mine. Depends how much room you really need and what you are using it for really. Had friends that have had lots of issues with their older model pajero, not sure about the new models but I do think they are ugly lol. Personally wouldn't go near a prado. Hubby had one for his work car and it literally fell apart on the Gibb road and I travelled long distance in one with a collegue and found it was very uncomfortable, my back suffered bigtime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have read the other replies carefully but look at where the anchor points are. If they are only for the middle row consider whether you will need some in the back and talk to a fitter before you buy the car. It's hard to find someone who will put extras in the Prado. I think (some) patrols have 2 in each row but the ones for the Middle row are above the back four which is a pain in the bum for the rear row passengers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies.
    When we go to buy the car I will make sure the anchor points are in the right spot. I just need two.
    We have a territory now and it's getting to small.
    I did see the Pajero and when seats are up yep not much boot. Will compare to Prado.
    But I much prefer the look of Pajero than Prado.

How sad is life. Buying a car all based on where kids seat LOL

What about me. The driver!! I want heated seats LOL
    Even a screen that goes up behind the front seats that's sound proof so I can't hear the kids fighting. Now that's the dream

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by onelasttime View Post
    What about me. The driver!! I want heated seats LOL
    Even a screen that goes up behind the front seats that's sound proof so I can't hear the kids fighting. Now that's the dream
    Maybe the Lexus version of the land cruiser might have heated seats otherwise have only seen them in European cars lol 😜