+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    This topic is one of perpetual discussion amongst teaching groups I'm a part of. What amazes me is that the majority of teachers seem eager to ignore the research, and rule in favour of homework. Now that's not the case for everyone...but it's always the majority view when it comes up.

Personally? I'm against homework in the majority of cases, as what evidence we have shows no benefit. There are exceptions though, and some kind of homework are better than others.
    Most teachers I know hate giving homework. Who needs extra marking? But parents are the ones who want/expect it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default "Spinoff" sort of - is homework necessary in primary school?

My son is not at school yet (he starts next year) but my thoughts are I would rather schools hours be extended then have kids bring home a mountain of homework. I think a little (up to 20 mins) is ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Most teachers I know hate giving homework. Who needs extra marking? But parents are the ones who want/expect it!
    See these are the sorts of comments that confuse me. As I said I don't have an opinion as I don't have school aged children, but so many comments about teachers not wanting to do the marking or parents not wanting it to interrupt their afternoon.

Are the studies about it not being worthwhile is it that the homework being set is too much, not appropriate or just that learning outcomes don't improve with homework?

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those who vehemently disagree with homework, which seems like quite a few people, how do you expect a child to go from zero homework to lots of homework in high school?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Children shouldn't be forced to sit and do work they should be playing. That's how they learn because they enjoy it. That's one of the reasons why I'm looking into homeschooling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDrakeRamoray View Post
    Children shouldn't be forced to sit and do work they should be playing. That's how they learn because they enjoy it. That's one of the reasons why I'm looking into homeschooling.
    Why can't they do both? I have 4 kids oldest is in year 4 and second in year 1. Both get reasonable amounts of homework and sometimes they do it happily other times they are too tired so we leave it for the next day. It's never a big issue but I want them to know that achievement comes with hard work. They both do plenty of extracurricular activities and have wild and vivid imaginations.

Everything in moderation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDrakeRamoray View Post
    My eldest daughter ( grade 4) brought homework home the other week and it said to help parents around the house and with cooking dinner. I thought "cool, this is homework I actually agree on!" Lol
    Must be going around! My DD is in year three and part of her homework this term has been things like
    -help with dinner
    -play a board game with your family
    -go for a run
    - throw a ball with a parent
    - do a random act of kindness

I think this is lovely

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    In my DD year 5 class they mark their own now. I know there are some parents at the school that expect and complain that there is not enough homework. Needless to say I am not one of those parents.

Year 5 my DD gets a double sided homework sheet, spelling list, 20-30 minutes of reading a night. She then has title pages to do from class and catch up on work that is done during her clarinet lesson. Her maths tutor doesn't really give her homework... thank goodness!

As she is struggling with some aspects of school work there is no way I am stopping her clarinet/band participation as it is something that is coming easy to her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a teacher...

Reading is important, but it is ideal if what they are reading they also like and l would love to see a new range of readers that cover wider range of genres, topics and formats particularly aimed at reluctant readers, but of course that comes down to funding. A way of combating this could be to let children have a couple of free-choice nights, but it would have to be something within their capability as home-reading usually reinforces and practices what they've been learning at school. We usually grab quite a few from the public library that the kids choose themselves from the readers' section and they read these for pleasure when they feel like it or if they forget to change their reader over.

The other thing I think needs a little extra practice would be tables as there's only so much time in the day and the maths curriculum is super busy as it is if it is taught in its entirety, but that's about it. Keeping in mind that many homes are also super busy, but between the two it can be given a little extra time. They are the foundation to so much maths further down the line and are expected to have a good grasp on them in Stage 2 (3,4).
    Last edited by Little Ted; 26-07-2015 at 12:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Why can't they do both? I have 4 kids oldest is in year 4 and second in year 1. Both get reasonable amounts of homework and sometimes they do it happily other times they are too tired so we leave it for the next day. It's never a big issue but I want them to know that achievement comes with hard work. They both do plenty of extracurricular activities and have wild and vivid imaginations.

Everything in moderation.
    Except soft drink 😉

I'm currently on placement (secondary teaching) and homework is expected to be set for each subject daily. It then takes up to half a lesson to go through the homework and correct it, eating up valuable classroom time.

I think small amounts of homework are fine, but the grid posted by @Elijahsmum seems crazy to me, that's so much work for primary school.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast