+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Don't get Aldi but ....

I shop at Aldi occasionally, I buy their lean mince, lamb chops and smoked bacon, but I have to say, more than once I've bought their chicken thighs and they are almost green in colour and off!! Despite them being well within date...

I buy some of their tinned stuff like tuna, tinned sweet corn, tinned chopped tomatoes and pineapple, and that is all quite good.

I am picky about what fruit and veg I buy and find they are cheaper but not always fresh or nice. Last week we bought apples and they are disgusting! They have so much bug spray on them that they feel oily, I had to wash one with soap just to get the oil off. Not ideal but I didn't know what else to do. DH ate one and said it was gross (he didn't wash his with soap 😂😂)

Edit: yesterday I shopped at Aldi, I didn't buy any meat, it cost me $75 or something for about 3 small bags of shopping... I actually came home and told DH that I thought their prices had gone up. I don't often shop there anymore (we used to all the time) and I swear we used to get almost a whole trolley for around that price...
    Last edited by SAgirl; 27-07-2015 at 15:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so this is aldi for those who don't get it - it's great for people like me who don't want to walk down 12 to 15 isles and don't care about comparing brands. I just want the cheapest without sorting through a million different brands and then comparing prices etc.saves heaps of time and stress not having to compare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ah my local Aldi doesn't have much of a chocolate selection.
    Definitely no Swiss mountain bars, btmac
    I got some white and milk chocolate Moser Roth blocks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (27-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    I also don't think you can compare the cheapest stuff in Coles to the Aldi version always. For example I love their smooth blue cheese which is $5. If I buy the cheapest comparable portion from Coles it may be $6 but terrible in comparison whereas the more comparable cheese is $8.50. Or their grass fed beef might be $21 a kilo whereas a budget rib fillet which isn't as thick or juicy at Coles might be the same price but the Aldi product is more comparable to the $32 a kilo grass fed rib fillet at Coles. Of course white sugar is white sugar, but I think on some things the generic brand isn't directly comparable. If that makes sense?
    This exactly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got this from Aldi today. A new one I've not seen before. It's so yummy....and individual pieces so you don't even have to snap bits off the block. Lazy chocolate. Ha ha. $2.99.
    The mountain bars are amazing too. Always found at the checkout like PP mentioned. :-)
    Attached Images

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (27-07-2015),Phony  (30-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    I've never tried the white chocolate so update please once you've had some!
    White with vanilla, very, very tasty.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (29-07-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (29-07-2015),btmacxxx  (29-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm an aldi lover and buy everything from there. Just wanted to add if you've been let down by your local aldi try the next closest. My local is amazing fruit and veg always fresh (much better quality then the local woolies) and I've never had issues with the meat. But when I shopped at my mums local Aldi a few suburbs away i was really disappointed, not much meat to chose from and fruit and veg that looked unripe, overripe and bruised. I really think is depends on the store. Anyway just throwing it out there for those wanting to give aldi a 2nd chance!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to melimum For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (30-07-2015),Phony  (30-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was thinking that, melimum. I think I'll do a store search.

Has anyone heard of Lidl?
    One of my best mates is French (lives close to the German border) and she swears by them.
    I've heard they're coming here soon.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (30-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Yes, I've heard of them A Current Affair did a story not very long ago about them. They had a shopper go in with a hidden camera (over in England) to show what it was like in there, prices etc and it was virtually a carbon copy of Aldi!!!

Apparently it is on the way for Australia.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Phony  (30-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    White with vanilla, very, very tasty.
    I used to go to Aldi regularly as there was one very close to my old house - I'd always get the white chocolate. It's amazing! Better than milky bar.

Some of the Aldi cheeses were good to. And their frozen Indian meals. I haven't been there in years though, no idea if they still sell this stuff.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (30-07-2015)