+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Big bed questions

How did you transition?
    What age?

Thinking of converting my toddlers (almost 20months) cot to a toddler bed you take the side off and put a low bar on it and it becomes a toddler bed. How did everyone go about this process? She is a great sleeper and I don't want to ruin that in any way, I was thinking when it starts to warm up as I run an oil heater at night and don't want her getting up and playing with that.

Also I'm sure this is quite obvious but do they have to stop sleeping in a sleeping bag when they go to a bed and is it worth getting a side rail for the bed as the low rail is just to support the bed not stop rolling out etc. thanks
    Last edited by Soon2be4; 27-07-2015 at 14:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd1 went from cot to single bed at 17mths. I fed to sleep so no issues transferring.

Dd2 went from cot to toddler bed at 22mths. I cuddled to sleep so again no issues transferring.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure about changing the bed over to a toddler bed. We moved our son into a queen bed at a bit before three. I gave him the option of which bed to sleep in and if he got out of the big bed, he was automatically put into the cot for the rest of the sleep. He just slowly chose the big bed for more sleeps and it kinda just happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved from the USA to London when DS was 18 months and I'd sold his cot there so just bought a double bed for him in our new house and that was it! Was much easier then I'd anticipated. He finally started sleeping through the night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD got a big (single) bed just aftershe turned 2. We put a safety rail on the side and a sheet/quilt. We talked about it lots and lots in the lead up,and let her choose when she wanted to sleep init. We let her take toys to bed (which she never did previously) and had no issues whatsoever. She sleeps just as well now as she did in the cot. She has finally (after 7 months or so) learnt to keep the bedding on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I put DD straight from a cot to a big bed at about 24 months. I took the side rail off after a few weeks and she only fell out of bed twice. She then just knew where the edge was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Q do u leave them in gro bag or quilt?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My youngest is still in a cot he's 15 months but my other kids were in a cot at 3, 2 and 16 months.

The only one I had problems with was my eldest middle child (when she was 2) she would constantly come out of the bedroom and didn't get to sleep til midnight. Even now at 8 she's a late night sleeper

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 is 21 months and I will be getting him a toddler bed soon (or putting his cot mattress on the ground). I am also waiting for it to warm up enough to take the oil heater out of the kids' bedroom. He is already undoing his sleep sacks and I don't think they're supposed to wear them if they're not in a cot but can't quite remember why?? I will put him in a onesie and put a blanket on him when I go to bed and he's already asleep. He sleeps on a mat for naps at daycare so I think he'll be ok with it. My worries are the nights he doesn't fall straight to sleep, how many times will he get up and either jump on his big brother or come out of the bedroom? DS1 went into a low single bed when he was 2. He only really fell out a couple of times and would sleep through the fall!

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Noty View Post
    DS2 is 21 months and I will be getting him a toddler bed soon (or putting his cot mattress on the ground). I am also waiting for it to warm up enough to take the oil heater out of the kids' bedroom. He is already undoing his sleep sacks and I don't think they're supposed to wear them if they're not in a cot but can't quite remember why?? I will put him in a onesie and put a blanket on him when I go to bed and he's already asleep. He sleeps on a mat for naps at daycare so I think he'll be ok with it. My worries are the nights he doesn't fall straight to sleep, how many times will he get up and either jump on his big brother or come out of the bedroom? DS1 went into a low single bed when he was 2. He only really fell out a couple of times and would sleep through the fall!

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Sounds like we will be approaching this adventure around the same time lol. I'm waiting to transition her to a bed before I put DD2 in with her as I'm fearing the worst but she may end up being okay.