Closed Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Off topic but I've seen many a harsh judgey thread in here about doctors or midwives.
    Me too. I think we see what is more personal to us. DP is a doctor so I notice those ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    She's not rewarding them with junk food, she's rewarding them with a party. Wouldn't be much of a party if they were all sitting around drinking water and eating homemade food. That's just lunch...
    I never thought about it like this, good point

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Teacher bringing in soft drink for students

Wow... What an overreaction. 'My sons teacher brought in soft drink for a celebration party, so I changed schools.' That is completely irrational.

First world problems, pick your battles, this certainly isn't worth your time. If you are so worried about the long term damaging effects of your child drinking one cup of soft drink, ask if you can go along to the party to ensure you can police him and smack any bad foods out of his hand and replace them with organic fruit/veges.

What a ridiculous thing to be outraged about. I feel sorry for the teacher who is probably just trying to do a nice thing for her class.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigmummahen For This Useful Post:

Blue Dragon  (25-07-2015),GlitterFarts  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwimum890 View Post
    I am with you, it goes against all healthy eating guidelines which I am sure the teacher is encouraged to teach in class too when covering the healthy food pyramid.

I am quite surprised that we seem to sit in the minority on this subject, I find it quite sad that we are rewarding children with so much junk food, no wonder Australia has such high obesity rates...
    This.

Then people wonder how every developed country in the world became fat. We have never ate that much sugar ever. The average Australian has 40 tsp worth per day.

I get that private parties offer these sort of drinks but school should know better IMO.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

MINIRoo  (26-07-2015),SAgirl  (26-07-2015),TeaM  (25-07-2015),TheGooch  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know how productive it is attacking OP and calling her opinion ridiculous. She asked for other people's opinions, not judgement of her own opinion. She was obviously trying to gauge whether she was overreacting.

I agree with others to send a note asking for your child not to have a soft drink if you feel this strongly. Ask your child not to drink so she knows what is expected.
    Otherwise let her know it is a treat which will not be given at home and use this as an education opportunity to teach her about sugar and nutrition.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think food rewards are a good idea, and don't think a teacher giving the kids soft drink is entirely appropriate.

I'd have to ask for my DS to miss out as he gets aggressive & hyperactive from food colourings. Which is another consideration - she's having this party at the end of the day and sending those hyped up kids home for the poor parents to deal with! Haha, unfair teacher lady!

Perhaps have a chat, explain why you think it's not a great idea, and maybe suggest that instead they have sparkling mineral water with fresh fruit cut up in it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Trust me, years from now we will look at the consumption of sugary beverages the same way we look at smoking today. Sure one small drink of soda might not kill you any more than one cigarette would kill you. Yet I'm sure most people here would not allow their child to have just one cigarette occasionally, you know because it's a party. And I'm sure most parents would be outraged if a teacher brought in cigarettes to school. Well to me, soda is the same. It's just as addictive and long term, daily consumption will make you sick and will kill you. Just because it's normalised in our society doesn't make it necessarily ok. 60 years ago, smoking everywhere was normal too and that was ok. Until it wasn't.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

MINIRoo  (26-07-2015),SAgirl  (26-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I get lots of sugar over a long period is bad for your health, but as someone that smoked for 20 years.... there is no way you can compare the two.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (25-07-2015),snowqu33n  (27-07-2015),Wise Enough  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (25-07-2015),HappyBovinexx  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaM View Post
    Trust me, years from now we will look at the consumption of sugary beverages the same way we look at smoking today. Sure one small drink of soda might not kill you any more than one cigarette would kill you. Yet I'm sure most people here would not allow their child to have just one cigarette occasionally, you know because it's a party. And I'm sure most parents would be outraged if a teacher brought in cigarettes to school. Well to me, soda is the same. It's just as addictive and long term, daily consumption will make you sick and will kill you. Just because it's normalised in our society doesn't make it necessarily ok. 60 years ago, smoking everywhere was normal too and that was ok. Until it wasn't.
    Am I missing something? Is there research to suggest soft drink is a carcinogen? If not this comparison seems like a huge stretch.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast