Closed Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey guys I'm having a party tonight too. All organic fruit and veg and just water for drinks. Whose in?

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

*Chels*  (25-07-2015),bigmummahen  (25-07-2015),Curby  (25-07-2015),FearlessLeader  (25-07-2015),LaDiDah  (26-07-2015),MrsBid  (26-07-2015),Ruby_Tuesday15  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Teacher bringing in soft drink for students

I haven't read all the posts but I laughed when I read the op. That's not something people actually have an issue with is it? It's a party! The poor teacher. Perhaps instead of raging about it or complaining to the teacher people could offer to cater the party if they feel the inappropriateness of soft drink is too great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read replies..

I don't really get/ support rewarding children with junk food/ soft drink etc but you said your daughter is 8... I think I would just go with the flow here- it's just one day and I would think she's probably had soft drink at parties by now? ( I have much younger kids so not sure but I know that by the time I was 8 I'd had it)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    And to celebrate because they all finish their homework on time?! Really?

Isn't that what they are supposed to be doing?
    To me celebrations are in order when you go above and beyond. Not when you meet target...
    😜
    Ok reading replies now and I agree with this.

We never ever got rewarded at school, just graded according to the work we produced??

I must be old..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

DrDrakeRamoray  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    She's not rewarding them with junk food, she's rewarding them with a party. Wouldn't be much of a party if they were all sitting around drinking water and eating homemade food. That's just lunch...
    This!!
    The teacher has not said "finish your homework and I'll give you a soft drink".

Thanks
    Reviews
    It wouldn't worry me because my kids know not to drink it anyway. They have never had soft drink and I'm not worried about them going nuts on it when they are older either. My siblings and I were banned from soft drink as kids, and when we did have it we all hated it. It's not treated like 'forbidden fruit' though, they understand why it's off the cards for our family and they don't ever ask for it, or so they wish they could have some or anything.
    When my kids are having a party at school I tell them to have fun, and just remind them to not go overboard with the food they consume. I'm not really in love with the whole junk food consumption thing, but I just use it as an opportunity for more food education at home because it's impossible to control what happens at school.
    Last edited by Full House; 25-07-2015 at 18:44.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Teacher bringing in soft drink for students

I'd be upset about it! The more research is done about sugar and particularly sugar in beverage form, the more and more appalled I am that we allow children to drink this stuff. Sugar is addictive - some research even suggests it's more addictive than cocaine and up there with heroine. I know it's sounds alarmist and a little crazy but at the same time I kind of believe it just based on my own experience cutting it out of my diet. As a consequence, I am very against sugary beverages in all forms. If some parents are ok with it, they can give their children whatever they want outside of school. But it's a terrible example to have a teacher bringing it into the class as a reward particularly if the school has a general policy against soft drinks.

ETA: I just wanted to add that I don't ban all junk food just sugary beverages specifically and that includes juices, smoothies or whatever you want to call them (it's all the same below the neck). I don't have a problem with the occasional treat like a cupcake or a cookie, but I do think that soft drinks and sugary beverages are a problem. At least baked goods have other things in them, specifically fat and usually protein (maybe even fiver if you make them with wholegrain flour) that trigger your feeling full. Sugary drinks don't make you feel full ever. In fact, they often make you hungrier and eat more food than you might otherwise consume. Combine that with the addictive nature of sugar and you have a very dangerous combination. It's entirely reasonable to be upset by it being brought into the school by a teacher. That doesn't mean the teacher is horrible or anything - she probably just doesn't realise and she is trying to do a nice thing. Tell her to watch "Fed Up" and "That Sugar Film" and then decide if she still wants to bring in soft drinks for the students.
    Last edited by TeaM; 25-07-2015 at 19:07.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

MINIRoo  (26-07-2015),SAgirl  (26-07-2015),tootsiegirl  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a storm in a teacup. The poor woman is just trying to make the kids happy FFS. Shes not purposely poisoning them or evil laughing about getting the kids addicted to sugar.

I hope im not this grinchy when my DS is at school.
    Last edited by heplusme; 25-07-2015 at 18:37.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (25-07-2015),MrsBid  (26-07-2015),munchkin275  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It wouldn't bother me but when it comes to sugar my main concern is Dd's teeth, so I'd probably be that mum that sends her to school with a toothbrush and tooth paste for afterwards😉.

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaM View Post
    I'd be upset about it! The more research is done about sugar and particularly sugar in beverage form, the more and more appalled I am that we allow children to drink this stuff. Sugar is addictive - some research even suggests it's more addictive than cocaine and up there with heroine. I know it's sounds alarmist and a little crazy but at the same time I kind of believe it just based on my own experience cutting it out of my diet. As a consequence, I am very against sugary beverages in all forms. If some parents are ok with it, they can give their children whatever they want outside of school. But it's a terrible example to have a teacher bringing it into the class as a reward particularly if the school has a general policy against soft drinks.
    I am with you, it goes against all healthy eating guidelines which I am sure the teacher is encouraged to teach in class too when covering the healthy food pyramid.

I am quite surprised that we seem to sit in the minority on this subject, I find it quite sad that we are rewarding children with so much junk food, no wonder Australia has such high obesity rates...

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kiwimum890 For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (26-07-2015),MINIRoo  (26-07-2015),SAgirl  (26-07-2015),TeaM  (25-07-2015),tootsiegirl  (25-07-2015),VicPark  (25-07-2015)

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast