Closed Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think there is a huge difference between what you individually allow as a parent and what a teacher, a carer, provides. At a party you may allow your child their one off lemonade but I'd be willing to bet all the parents of children in the class aren't informed (as in don't read notes, don't have children who communicate info back well) about the choices they may possibly like to make for their child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess one drink (hopefully it is only one drink) won't hurt.

I still don't agree on it though. Kids can and should be rewarded in other ways not with junk. That's just my opinion though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our kids (3, 5, 6) dont drink it at home, our boys have had a cup every now and again at a party etc if it was just a once off I wouldn't really be bothered...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    And to celebrate because they all finish their homework on time?! Really?

Isn't that what they are supposed to be doing?
    To me celebrations are in order when you go above and beyond. Not when you meet target...
    😜
    This!!!

The soft drink as a once off at a celebration wouldn't bother me, but as you say it's what they're going to be celebrating I have a problem with. What happens next time they finish all their homework? Another party? That's too much!

What if there's nothing, what's to 'encourage' them to do their homework on time next time? They may revolt (as much as kids can) and not bother if there's no tangible incentive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Personally I'm not bothered by tangible incentives, as adults we have them for good performance and meeting targets in the form of wages, bonuses and promotions.

But the idea that the incentives shouldn't be junk food is probably a valid one. Just as I believe banning it can create a disordered relationship with food, so can tying up happiness and reward with sugar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Teacher bringing in soft drink for students

Same thing happened with my son this year but was cordial rather than soft drink. I have never ever bought cordial for him. Didn't bother me though as it was a once off. In fact I'm pretty sure he just had water anyway!! Neither of my boys will touch soft drink. They hate the feeling of bubbles... I let them both have a taste at a party and they spat it out.

I'm a teacher myself and I've never brought in soft drink ... But that's probably more to do with the fact that I'm a tightar$e. I have taken in popcorn at the end of the year. Perhaps I've upset some parents without my knowledge also??
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 25-07-2015 at 19:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Personally I'm not bothered by tangible incentives, as adults we have them for good performance and meeting targets in the form of wages, bonuses and promotions.

But the idea that the incentives shouldn't be junk food is probably a valid one. Just as I believe banning it can create a disordered relationship with food, so can tying up happiness and reward with sugar.
    I don't get bonuses for doing my job, nor promotions. Only if I overachieve. My wage though is for doing my job yes.
    But learning isn't a job? So were teaching kids that learning is a chore and that's why they should get a reward for doing it? A little like giving dessert because they had a taste of the veggies ;-)
    They're doing it for themselves and motivation can only come from within. My opinion only of course :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Meh. Its probably just lemonade. Nothing outrageous as a once off. I'm not a food nazi though as I know these things are otherwise minimal in comparison to everyday foods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    Personally I think it's nice the teacher is making an effort to reward her class's achievements. The soft drink as a one off wouldn't bother me.

You have every right to your opinion though. This is just my personal opinion.
    Me too. Some of my fondest memories of school are those days where we were rewarded for our achievements. A cup of creaming soda and some cheetos was like winning the lotto back then haha.
    Last edited by Gracie's Mum; 25-07-2015 at 16:01.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    She's not rewarding them with junk food, she's rewarding them with a party. Wouldn't be much of a party if they were all sitting around drinking water and eating homemade food. That's just lunch...

11. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

*Chels*  (25-07-2015),BettyV  (25-07-2015),bigmummahen  (25-07-2015),Blue Dragon  (25-07-2015),Candiceo  (27-07-2015),Curby  (25-07-2015),DailyDiversion  (25-07-2015),delirium  (25-07-2015),DreamyMummy  (25-07-2015),Gentoo  (26-07-2015),Gracie's Mum  (25-07-2015),Happymum2  (25-07-2015),LaDiDah  (26-07-2015),MrsBid  (26-07-2015),snowqu33n  (27-07-2015)

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast