Closed Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a teacher, I personally wouldnt bring soft drink to a class party, but I wouldnt be outraged about it. I dont think my kids would drink fizzy drink anyway, but if they did, a small cup wouldnt hurt them - its no worse than juice, IMO, which heaps of kids drink daily. If she is having a reward for finishing homework on time, I would hazard a guess that she is having a difficult class with 'motivational' issues, &is trying her best to motivate them to do their work. Yeah, it should be 'normal', but some kids/ families struggle with things like homework. So good on her for doing the best she can for the class.

I taught 5yo, & I never had a class party with shared foods, etc. Mostly because of food allergies, & it just didnt work so well with the age group. For an end of term treat, I might buy a pack of ice blocks and take the kids outside for iceblocks &a play. We only allowed the kids to bring water to school,so I can see that its a bit contradictory, but I think kids can know the difference betwren a party and everyday rules.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (26-07-2015),harvs  (25-07-2015),LoveLivesHere  (25-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-07-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by billykate View Post
    I am a teacher too - and have been in the game a long time. Personally, I wouldn't choose soft drink as a reward - maybe a game at the end of the day. Like a previous poster has said - she may be a younger teacher, who knows. I guess I'm just defensive of teachers and get tired of people jumping up and down when there are much better ways to go about things then flying off the handle. We're all on the same side, and have our students'/ your child's best interests at heart. Sure we may make decisions sometimes that in hindsight are not the best, but that's something for the teacher to reflect on and change for the next time. Not to get jumped on and judged by a heap of adults.

People aren't quick to judge doctors and lawyers etc like they do teachers. Just gets me frustrated.
    This is very well put and is exactly how I feel, with my teacher hat on. I would be horrified if one of my parents kept a child home for that reason. And I too am tired of outrage at teachers.

With my mum hat on, I would just say to the teacher that I would rather my DS didn't have any soft drink.

But also with my mum hat on, at my son's childcare they don't even allow parents to bring in birthday cake for their children to share with their friends, which makes me a little sad. I think there should be a middle ground somewhere.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-07-2015)

TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I absolutely agree with op's opinion about soft drink being inappropriate and unnecessary.
    I also agree with what others have said about not agreeing with food rewards or rewards for just doing what's expected, not going above and beyond.

But, I think perhaps keeping her home, thinking of changing schools rather than a quiet word/email with the teacher or principal is an overreacting and a missed opportunity for a teaching moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I can't believe in this day and age the teacher would bring soft drink to school for kids. School is where those kids whose parents have no idea are supposed to learn about healthy habits.

Very surprised. Maybe the teacher needs to take health ed 101 again.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (26-07-2015),Busy-Bee  (26-07-2015),DrDrakeRamoray  (25-07-2015),MINIRoo  (25-07-2015),tootsiegirl  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If soft drink is against school policy mention it to the principal..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    10 points to the teacher for trying. it's cute and I kinda feel sorry for them now. but in today's day and age of micro managed everything and everyone being super health conscious etc, I do think soft drink is probably not the best choice. I'd be very very cautious before making suggestions for someone else's kids consumption. every parent is different and id feel like whatever you do, someone's parents will be put out.

surely they won't be bringing coke in? I guess one lemonade can't hurt, hardly like the kids will be guzzling it by the liter.

just make sure there's plenty of healthy food around to soak up the sugar.

I'd hate to be a teacher these days. they'd cop it hard I reckon.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Also some other thoughts:

Many many schools struggle with respecting family balance and outside school commitments and trying to ensure homework gets done. It's not automatic to have a class where all or even most kids complete their homework. I certainly celebrate when my entire class completes their homework for a week and I only have 13 students in a category 3 school.

And aiming for a group success and reward is a great strategy because it means the peer influence is involved which is more meaningful than yet another adult breathing down their throat or punitive measures.

It might be a school where parents or the school can't afford something like a reward excursion.

Or the teacher might have been using student voice and they suggested and voted on the reward that they would like. And decided that on balance, allowing them to make that choice democratically had greater value.

The teacher may have used or be planning to use the opportunity to talk about food in moderation, or sometimes food, or the importance of physical activity to balance caloric intake.

So let's not assume she is a moron who doesn't understand health education.

I agree, soft drink is a poor choice and I am surprised that she would choose to provide some, or even that she is allowed to.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

billykate  (25-07-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (25-07-2015),NancyBlackett  (27-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I completely agree soft drink isn't really a wise choice. Juice or water would have been better. I just don't see it as a problem if it's a rare thing. We don't have soft drink much in our house and when it is, it's lemonade. But I've never banned it and when we get maccas or go to a party they can have it. Not surprisingly, my DD hates soft drink, refuses to drink it. Water is her first choice.

This is purely my opinion but creating anxiety around food only creates children who never develop self control and see sweets as this illusive thing. I was one of those kids so I speak from experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    this kinda reminds me of an article I read about george calombaris. apparently if his kid gets invited to a McDonald's bday party, he packs him off with his own lunch pail of healthy food.

I think as a parent you need to be realistic. yes it's your kid and obviously you can do as you please, but I also think it's a bit harsh to risk alienating the child from their peer group. at that age, tiny stuff like that is a big deal and other kids hone in on any kind of perceived differences. if it's few and far between, I'd probably just be inclined to let it go. the odd McDonald's or cup of lemonade never killed anyone. we practically grew up on the stuff in our day and everyone turned out ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think it's the best idea that the teacher provides soft drink as a beverage. There are parents who won't approve and it could cause the children to be a bit hyper.

I wouldn't personally take issue with it though, especially if it's a rare treat. For the record my DS only drinks water, which is his choice.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast