Closed Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    i'm not being rude. Being rude would have been saying the OP was being an idiot- I didn't say that and nor do I feel she is.

It does read as a tantrum though, and so I said as much.

I didn't say the OP said the teacher would force her child. I said the teacher would not force her child if she asked that her child not be given the drink. It is that simple.

For all we know, the teacher asked the class what she should bring in and 90% said soft drink, and their parents are fine with it.

The OP isn't, that's fine, but doesn't make the teacher (or school) a bad person.
    No it doesn't and those people who disagree with the soft drink being appropriate are allowed to have an opinion. It doesn't mean they are teacher bashing (generally) just that they personally don't like what this teacher is doing in this particular instance and that's okay.

I think what @GucciDahling is trying to say is that people having a negative opinion over the actions of this teacher in this situation is just as relevant as people who have a positive opinion of this teachers actions. Both opinions are just as valid.

The point is people should be able to express their opinion of a situation without being accused of having tantrums or having a hate of teachers.

The OP is just wanting to gauge what others think. Are they okay with it or are they not. Even if you disagree with an OP it doesn't mean you have to be nasty (not saying you're being nasty I mean in general)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Teacher bringing in soft drink for students

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    has anyone been around here long enough to remember sausagerollgate? This thread reminds me of that one
    Now I'm intrigued! I want to read the suasagerollgate thread!

Eta: just saw the links been posted. Woohoo!
    Last edited by BettyV; 26-07-2015 at 10:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDrakeRamoray View Post
    Daughter's (8) class ( grade 2) is having a class party on Friday because they all finished their homework on time.
    Teacher is bringing in soft drink!!!

I'm very annoyed! I know I can so no to that but then daughter is left out.

Is if just me or would anyone else be p!ssed off that a teacher would be bringing in soft drink for her students?

We have to provide our own food, so something healthyish and yum is what I'll be doing ( not sure what yet).
    Haven't read the thread but while I wouldn't be impressed as it shouldn't be offered at school my ds having soft drink is very rare so I wouldn't mind him having it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've read some of the replies and I have to agree with the OP. My boys have a very healthy diet, we don't eat organic, but we eat lots of fresh fruit and veg, as well as lean meat etc. we have worked hard to keep most junk food off our list.

Soft drink is a huge no no for us. My MIL once gave my ds1 lemonade at his 3rd bday party and I was FUMING! I still think of it today and it upsets me. Now that may sound extreme to some, but there are some things that I will not let my kids have and soft drink is high on that list.

My ds's are 4 and 18 months. We teach them about good foods and bad foods.

I would expect a teacher to know which foods and drinks were inappropriate to bring into school. OP I'm sure you're not the only parent who sees a problem with it.

You can still have a celebration without soft drink! Soft drink doesn't 'make' a celebration! Although coca-cola would love you to think it does.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

DrDrakeRamoray  (26-07-2015),FrothyFrog  (26-07-2015),Monkey'sMummy  (27-07-2015)

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I have to lol at all the shock that kids are not doing their homework anyway. Some kids come to school without lunch or shoes or a jumper. Some come reeking of cigarette smoke from mum smoking in the car. Some,barely come at all. In a 'challenging' area, getting all the kids to do their homework is a HUGE success.
    Yes I can understand that and I am sure that a few of those kids in those situations probably already aren't getting good nutritious foods and drinks at home....
    Even more of a reason to be teaching kids about healthy choices and not offering soft drink. (OP I am not saying that you live in an area like this I am just saying in a 'challenging area' like the previous poster said)

I still think there are far better alternatives to soft drink even if it is a once off for a party...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I have to lol at all the shock that kids are not doing their homework anyway. Some kids come to school without lunch or shoes or a jumper. Some come reeking of cigarette smoke from mum smoking in the car. Some,barely come at all. In a 'challenging' area, getting all the kids to do their homework is a HUGE success.
    My kids go to a low SES school and we see a lot of the above. Many teachers have little parties or rewards for homework, bc frankly many of the parents at our school really couldn't give sh*t. The reward is there to motivate the *kids* bc their parents don't push them to do homework.

I can't get over this thread. So much angst over a little bit of sugar.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (26-07-2015),Possie7  (26-07-2015),Purple Poppy  (26-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree it's not great, I don't let my DD have soft drink but certainly won't mind if she had it occasionally as a treat in the future.

I can't help though seeing this from the teachers point of view - she wants to encourage her class to do something to help their education so she plans what she thinks is a nice reward. Out of her own pocket and in her own time she buys some soft drink - I'm guessing a couple of bottles so one small cup per child. And what does she potentially get in return? Aggro from parents, some to the point of considering taking their child out of the school! I would feel very disheartened if I was her.

And we wonder why so many teachers leave the profession, it seems to be difficult to do anything right by some parents standards.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

DT75  (27-07-2015),Gentoo  (26-07-2015),Possie7  (26-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband is a teacher. He had a swear bucket in his trade class and if the kids kept the swear tokens under a certain amount they got a KFC party at the end of the year. They kept up their end and he brought them a KFC feed on their last day (at 10 in the morning).

Imagine the BH thread about that!

Not ideal but when teachers ring home to complain about homework not done, truancy etc and you get a `Yeah, big deal, deal with it' or a `p!ss off' kind of response I guess you get a bit creative.

I'm pretty strict on my kids food and they have never had softdrink but I would have no issue with this. I honestly would be more worried about them being social pariahs than having one cup of soft drink and I think making a huge fuss, keeping them out of school, changing schools, writing notes and not letting them have it is worse than the soft drink.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (27-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    My husband is a teacher. He had a swear bucket in his trade class and if the kids kept the swear tokens under a certain amount they got a KFC party at the end of the year. They kept up their end and he brought them a KFC feed on their last day (at 10 in the morning).

Imagine the BH thread about that!

Not ideal but when teachers ring home to complain about homework not done, truancy etc and you get a `Yeah, big deal, deal with it' or a `p!ss off' kind of response I guess you get a bit creative.

I'm pretty strict on my kids food and they have never had softdrink but I would have no issue with this. I honestly would be more worried about them being social pariahs than having one cup of soft drink and I think making a huge fuss, keeping them out of school, changing schools, writing notes and not letting them have it is worse than the soft drink.
    I wish your DH was my teacher. I freakin love KFC :-D

I agree with all of this. DS1 has had a small cup of lemonade on occasion, DS2 hasn't had anything yet but for a once of treat I don't have a problem. In saying that I wouldn't have a problem saying to the teacher my child wasn't allowed soft drink on that day if I was against it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (26-07-2015)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    For what it's worth OP I would like the situation either as my kids don't get soft drink. It's not just about the content of the softdrink but introducing the heavy marketing into my children's lives. DS and DD don't know brands of softdrinks. There are a lot of ways to create a party and celebrate without soft drinks and an overload of sugary/processed foods.

2 years ago when DS was in prep, the Mum and Dad of one of this students rocked up to school one day with happy meals for the entire class to celebrate their child's birthday. No warning, nothing. The teacher had no idea they were going to do this and was completely taken by surprise. Up until that point DS had never had McD's. He didn't know what it was. He was describing to me on the way home that he got a bag with a hamburger, chips and a toy inside. I started asking him more questions and he described the bag as having a "yellow M" on it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

DrDrakeRamoray  (26-07-2015)