Closed Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDrakeRamoray View Post
    I wouldn't serve kale either but there are healthy alternatives you know?
    Party food doesn't always need to be sugary, additive ridden crap.

And if the teacher wants to reward her students that's fine, but give stickers or a special game or whatever that isn't food-related.
    I don't think food related celebration is a bad thing. To me...I love a party...it means yummy food I don't eat on a regular basis..so it's exciting. Everything in moderation! Also are you the member who wants to homeschool? Then unschool?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    Interesting. This isn't something I'd ever heard.
    This is a good source of info if you wanted to learn more.

http://www.additivealert.com.au/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (25-07-2015),Elijahs Mum  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    I don't think food related celebration is a bad thing. To me...I love a party...it means yummy food I don't eat on a regular basis..so it's exciting. Everything in moderation! Also are you the member who wants to homeschool? Then unschool?
    Yes that's me. But that's a different topic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDrakeRamoray View Post
    Yes that's me. But that's a different topic
    I was just thinking that maybe you are trying to find more reasons to pull your kids out of school, especially after saying you would change schools over this.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Chels* For This Useful Post:

delirium  (25-07-2015),DreamyMummy  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    Am I missing something? Is there research to suggest soft drink is a carcinogen? If not this comparison seems like a huge stretch.
    Maybe it's not carcinogenic but too much sugar can cause type 2 diabetes. I agree with PP that we'll probably look back in a few decades and be horrified by what we eat now. I'm with the Op here and don't think it's appropriate if the school has a no soft drinks/ water only policy. At that age I hated soft drinks though (even now I only drink them if they're alcoholic ;-) If I got on ok with the teacher I might point out it's against school policy in case she has forgotten. Otherwise I personally wouldn't make it a big deal but I can understand why the OP was upset.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noty For This Useful Post:

DrDrakeRamoray  (25-07-2015),TeaM  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    I was just thinking that maybe you are trying to find more reasons to pull your kids out of school, especially after saying you would change schools over this.
    That wouldn't be the only reason.

Maybe I was overrating when I said I'd change schools but I'm not overreacting when I said I don't agree on teachers bringing in unhealthy drinks to her students.

And I'm still highly considering home schooling. Not because of a soft drink drink though.

Anyway...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Teacher bringing in soft drink for students

I can't believe this topic is still going. As a teacher, I'd be mortified if I knew there was a whole forum topic devoted to scrutinising my decisions as a teaching PROFESSIONAL somewhere out there in the World Wide Web ... I think we should let it go.
    Last edited by billykate; 25-07-2015 at 20:45.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to billykate For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (25-07-2015),Blue Dragon  (25-07-2015),Gentoo  (26-07-2015),LaDiDah  (26-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-07-2015),sunnyflower  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wouldn't really bother me much- it's the same as the teacher bringing in lollies.

I'd bring in juice poppers or something, but they can have as much sugar in them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    My biggest issue would be a party for finishing homework.....what?? This means they usually don't all finish it? I thought your just supposed to do homework?!?

I'm all for rewarding good behavior/accomplishments, however, completing homework is not exactly an accomplishment.

I'm not a fan of food rewards, however, a little party at school is not exactly going to do any long term damage, it's the same as a birthday party. Would you not allow your child to go to a birthday if soft drink was being served?
    I am not sure where the OP lives, but there are plenty of schools out there where it would be a major achievement for every child to do their homework.

Not every kid goes home to a supportive stable family that understands the need for homework. Many would be lucky to get something to eat and someone to notice that they are there, let alone ask about their day and provide some parental assistance with homework.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

delirium  (25-07-2015),Gentoo  (26-07-2015),LoveLivesHere  (25-07-2015),Ruby_Tuesday15  (26-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    Its a treat would there be outrage if it was for a end of year party or are they now banned from schools because heaven forbid a child has anything that isnt paleo, organic, home made or what ever the latest trend is.
    Well said. I have no problem with it.