+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Tell your parents and brother to start pulling their weight and stop expecting you to do everything especially since you have kids of your own to take care of and your brother is a lazy slob!!
    Stand up to them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow . I cannot believe your family. I think if they have enough money to go overseas then they can organize a taxi home. Or ask your brother. Really it's not your issue.

As for replacing the food that your brother ate? Really? Does your brother have some sort of disability preventing him from shopping? And they expect you to cook for them? This is just out and out wierd.

You need to get comfortable with saying no. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that they won't help you but you are expected to do stupid things for them.

Just say no. They will be angry. You need to get comfortable with that. They will stop asking and maybe your brother will stop being enabled to be a selfish , immature slob.

People treat you the way you let them. Your family comes first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Put your foot down. No one else can do it but you.
    Your brother has set very low expectations of himself you have done the opposite. So time to take a leaf out of your brothers book. What would he say/do if the parents ask him to collect them from airport/cook food/do groceries etc?
    Just do what he would do.

For the airport trip Id text them and say you're not feeling well and you won't be able to make it. They are adults they'll figure out a way to get home.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

sunnyflower  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks everyone for your replies. yes I will need to stand up for myself. I said to my hubby that I just cannot do this anymore. oh seriously, my parents take the cake. it makes me wonder where my brother gets his attitude from. Every mothers and fathers day, they expect me and hubby to pay for the meals if we go to a restaurant. they KNOW we are not mortgage free. And yep somehow bro gets out of it... sigh. I am done with this. tomorrow when they are back, we will be having words.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    thanks everyone for your replies. yes I will need to stand up for myself. I said to my hubby that I just cannot do this anymore. oh seriously, my parents take the cake. it makes me wonder where my brother gets his attitude from. Every mothers and fathers day, they expect me and hubby to pay for the meals if we go to a restaurant. they KNOW we are not mortgage free. And yep somehow bro gets out of it... sigh. I am done with this. tomorrow when they are back, we will be having words.
    if it were me, I wouldn't actually have words, just start with actions from now on. Starting with I wouldn't do a big shop for them nor cook them meals. I would (and have done for both my Mum and my inlaws) purchased a carton of milk, bread, ham, cheese & tomatoes so they can have a coffee and a toasted sandwich to tide them over until they go and do the groceries.

I think it would be more effective to be cool and calm and matter of fact about it each time an issue arises, rather than have everyone blow up at each other. IMO, this gives your parents ammunition to be nasty at you each time they want something. if you are nice and polite in your refusal, you will have the upper hand.

Good luck, I really hope you stand firm because it sounds like you are totally taken for granted.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with girlsrock, just change your boundaries and stick to them. Don't have a discussion about it, simply start saying no. It will seem daunting to start with, but once you get going, you'll be surprised how easy it is

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah no discussion. What is there to discuss?