+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We went through the same thing when we had dd2. Dd1 wasn't being naughty just difficult.

I think it was all a reaction to this new sister she had!! After having baby home for about two months she seemed to settle down back into herself, but you never know with these 3.5s could change at any time!

I just found;

including her in simple tasks for new baby helped, even though sometimes she said no. 😳

Making time, even sitting for a little exclusive time helped (I know very hard with newby).

As others have said praising her for even the smallest tasks and ignoring the bad behaviour. I mean she knows when she's over the top, but I just keep on doing something else or walk away when the tanties start.

He will come round probably just adjusting to your new bundle of joy..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just give lots of love and cut him some slack. He's not an adult with adult emotions. Just love him and be gentle and he will respond back

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those who've been through this before, how lenient are you with the older children when you brought your baby home? Do you really stick to the usual routine and rules or ease up a bit if your 3 yo acts up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dollypops View Post
    For those who've been through this before, how lenient are you with the older children when you brought your baby home? Do you really stick to the usual routine and rules or ease up a bit if your 3 yo acts up?
    I honestly think this is where we have gone a bit wrong - we have been very lenient. Partly due to worry about him feeling left out or upset I guess but also due to the extreme fatigue and unsettled routine. I think a balance is important, which is what we are going to try and restore.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not lenient. Having another baby is not a whole change of lifestyle; baby has to fit into the existing routine!
    The only thing I made sure to do was give the older kids lots of love and cuddles when baby was out of my arms. Try to squeeze some one on one time in when baby was sleeping. Basically just make sure that they know they are still loved and valued, and have not been replaced; as baby does take up most of your time and attention for a while.
    But other than that- a normal household with rules and routines.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (25-07-2015),MrsSS  (25-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree balance is important.
    We were lenient where the new bub was concerned, but after the first few days realised that other stuff had to be "normal" so she had to pack up her toys as per usual and all that, occasionally if I thought things were getting a little to much for her I'd say can you do me a favor and watch the baby and I'll put the toys away when you go to bed, so the baby was the positive thing that got her out of doing something she didn't like. (Of course I would be around watching them both)

We made it a point when we got home to always greet DD first, so when DH would get home from work he never went to the baby first, we asked close family and friends to do the same, we also made a point to each have 15mins 1 on 1 time with DD in the evenings, this was irrelevant to what ever we did that day. I found in the evenings she wanted more attention so those 15mins each left her happy and that way there wasn't much room for jealousy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Zero lenience. Life goes on as normal.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Not lenient. Having another baby is not a whole change of lifestyle; baby has to fit into the existing routine!
    The only thing I made sure to do was give the older kids lots of love and cuddles when baby was out of my arms. Try to squeeze some one on one time in when baby was sleeping. Basically just make sure that they know they are still loved and valued, and have not been replaced; as baby does take up most of your time and attention for a while.
    But other than that- a normal household with rules and routines.
    Well said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We weren't any different when we bought new baby home in regard to every day life. We just made time for cuddles and to talk to dd1 about kindy or life in general.

We just kept in mind that it IS a big adjustment for a little person who has been the only one for so long (3yrs).

She pushed my buttons for awhile, but I just tried to keep it as normal as possible..... With a few perks for her now she's a big sister.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsSS For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (25-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-07-2015)