+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Weight loss and fitness after pregnancy

Hi All,
    I have a beautiful 5 week old daughter. Over my pregnancy I gained 15 kg and now weigh 6 kg more than I did pre-pregnancy. This might not sound like a lot but before coming pregnant fitness and fashion played a big part of my life and my self esteem is currently quite low due to the weight gain. I struggled to exercise (besides light walking) while pregnant due to dizzy spells.

Does anyone have some good tips on how to get fit again after pregnancy? Tips with respect to diet, types of exercise, motivation techniques and time management would be very appreciated.

I'm struggling to find time to unload the dishwasher let alone do a workout! I don't know how the domestic goddesses on this forum to it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get that wanting to feel like you feeling. However don't put to much pressure on yourself. Remember 9 months on 9 months off then anything less is a bonus - or that's how I thought of it.

I found that with breast feeding, so long as I didn't eat junk I would steadily loose the weight each time. As far as exercise, does you LO sleep in the pram? Can you plan for one of bubs shorter sleeps to be in the pram a couple of times a week and go for a walk around the block? Some fresh air also always makes me feel pretty good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At 5 weeks post birth, if that is all you have to worry about then you are doing an amazing job girlfriend!! I think I was lying on the floor crying because I couldn't get my baby to stop crying and I hadn't slept more than 1 solid hour at a time in 5 weeks....

Ok that said, I completely understand where you are coming from and it's completely normal to feel that way. But as PP said, try not to stress, assuming you are BF then you will likely lose LOADS more without even trying over the coming weeks and months.
    Eat healthy,get rest when you can, walk everywhere with the pram and you really can't go wrong.
    If you are really keen find a good gym with a crèche, I used to do that 1-2 per week for an hour, more so for the 'me time' and just because it was nice to have a little break from Bub.
    I lost all of mine in under 6 months without trying (and had been an uber-fit, workout 7-10 x per week girl previously). So many of my friends ended up several kilos LESS than pre pregnancy within 6-12 months of giving birth, probably a combination of BF and lack of sleep/lack of time to eat!
    Try to relax and remember this newborn time will go so fast. You've got plenty of time to worry about your waistline later (and most likely won't need to anyway). ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I put on 21kgs when pregnant despite continuing with PT at the gym and very gentle walking.

BF'ing definitely helped me with weight loss. All my weigh was gone after 4 months but I did return to the gym after my 6 week check up. Find a gym with a crèche. DS started going to gym crèche at 7 weeks old. I found the easiest time to go to the gym was morning so would do a class or PT session in the morning then aim to get outside for a walk and some fresh air with DS in the pram during the afternoon.

Try not so stress about it and enjoy your baby. The weight will come off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    I get that wanting to feel like you feeling. However don't put to much pressure on yourself. Remember 9 months on 9 months off then anything less is a bonus - or that's how I thought of it.

I found that with breast feeding, so long as I didn't eat junk I would steadily loose the weight each time. As far as exercise, does you LO sleep in the pram? Can you plan for one of bubs shorter sleeps to be in the pram a couple of times a week and go for a walk around the block? Some fresh air also always makes me feel pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post

Thanks! I tried for a walk this evening, DD started screaming as I walked down the driveway. I took one look at my poor puppy who has been neglected since DD's arrival and decided to keep walking. We did the block twice with DD screaming the whole way. I felt terribly guilty but I think I would have either way as puppy would have been heartbroken if we didn't go through with the walk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @sunnygirl79 and @Pumpkin1106

I love the crèche idea how did it go with breastfeeding? Did you express and leave a bottle at the crèche or did they come get you if bubs wanted feeding? I'm feeding on demand and its anywhere between 30 mins to 3 hrs between feeds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Weight loss and fitness after pregnancy

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post

I love the crèche idea how did it go with breastfeeding? Did you express and leave a bottle at the crèche or did they come get you if bubs wanted feeding? I'm feeding on demand and its anywhere between 30 mins to 3 hrs between feeds
    I was lucky in that DS fed like clockwork every 3 hours so I would just time my PT session around his feeds or if it was a class I wanted to go to I would just give him a quick BF before we left home. DS would sleep right through his crèche session which amazed me as they are so noisy. I swear most days he didn't even know he had been to crèche as he didn't ever wake up! The crèche ladies used to joke about it. I think he was going for around 3 months before they ever saw him awake 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Try putting Bub in the carrier for walks. Both mine hated the pram till they were 3-4mths old and lived in the carrier the first few months.

With feeds and going to the gym. If possible feed from one boob before gym, express the other boob around 50-100ml and leave it with Bub at the crèche or dad or another carer. Fresh bm can be left out of the fridge 3-4hrs with no stresses. Then work out happily. If Bub needs a top up in that next hour there is some for them ready.

But make sure you drink 1-2L of water within 2hrs of gym so you don't dehydrate and your milk supply tanks. Your milk can taste a bit odd after a work out but babies soon get used to it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (25-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Try putting Bub in the carrier for walks. Both mine hated the pram till they were 3-4mths old and lived in the carrier the first few months.

With feeds and going to the gym. If possible feed from one boob before gym, express the other boob around 50-100ml and leave it with Bub at the crèche or dad or another carer. Fresh bm can be left out of the fridge 3-4hrs with no stresses. Then work out happily. If Bub needs a top up in that next hour there is some for them ready.

But make sure you drink 1-2L of water within 2hrs of gym so you don't dehydrate and your milk supply tanks. Your milk can taste a bit odd after a work out but babies soon get used to it.
    Thanks! Now off to find a gym with a crèche

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post

I worked my gym time around feeds I used to sit in gym reception and give DS a feed before leaving him at the crèche. Also in the earlier days I would leave the crèche a bottle of expressed milk just in case. I was only ever there for 1-1.5hrs.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (25-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-07-2015)