+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bub waking up 3-4 times a night still

Hi all, I'm writing this up for a friend.

Her little boy (his 13 months old) is still getting up several times a night, his always been a bad sleeper.

Any Sugguestions?

My friend has tried the following
    Letting him cry
    Feeding him
    Settling him

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Waking overnight multiple times is still in the realms of normal at this age group. Reasons include medical reasons, teething, growth spurts, separation anxiety, daily pattern out of sync with kids biorhythm, not enough food during day etc.

And there are kids that are naturally crappy sleepers and there is zip you can do about it. Plus your high needs kids, etc.

My kids were and are perfectly normal/average and were waking twice over nights for feeds at this age. They needed it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Waking overnight multiple times is still in the realms of normal at this age group. Reasons include medical reasons, teething, growth spurts, separation anxiety, daily pattern out of sync with kids biorhythm, not enough food during day etc.

And there are kids that are naturally crappy sleepers and there is zip you can do about it. Plus your high needs kids, etc.

My kids were and are perfectly normal/average and were waking twice over nights for feeds at this age. They needed it.
    This ^

I discussed this with my paed and she told me it is very, very normal.

My first slept through by 12 weeks. My DS2 wakes multiple times for a feed and he will be one next week.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to New Hope For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (24-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, I will pass on the message.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there any chance he's not warm enough? If he's not hungry or unwell/teething etc it's definitely not abnormal for his age but could be worth looking into as being just slightly too cool can cause restlessness. That said, there's a fine line to overheating too so definitely keep him monitored if extra layers are added.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I am going to offer a different point of view. At 13 months, assuming a bub is healthy/has no medical issues, most babies have the capacity to sleep through - or at least sleep without consistently waking multiple times per night.

There's plenty of things (gentle and not so gentle) that a parent can do to help create an environment which encourages a bub to sleep through. Whether or not those things are inline with someones parenting philosophy is another thing (and it's ok if they are not). Some hints and tips are below. Please note the tips assumes bub has had a check over from their doctor and there are no medical issues.

1. Ensure the sleep environment is the same from when bub falls asleep until you would like bub to wake.
    If something is there (dummy, bottle, boob, music, patting etc) when bub falls asleep but not when bub stirs in between sleep cycles bub will think "wtf! Where's my XYZ?!" And wake. The adult intervention required with many sleep aids (milk, patting etc) is why some parents chose to encourage bub to self settle using a traditional cloth/teddy comforter. Always put bub to sleep where you intend them to wake - don't transfer once bub is asleep.

2. Hunger - at 13 months bub should be on 3 solids meals per day (1/3 protein for lunch and dinner) with snacks. If bub is having difficulty with solid intake then bub could be hungry. Medical assistance may be required.

3. Temperature - many parents underestimate the amount of bedding a baby needs. Many babies wake due to being cold. I take the cheats way out and use a sleeping bag and thermostat controlled heater.

4. Day naps - if day naps are too long or too short (perhaps, but not always, because they are not at the right time) bub might be overtired or not tired enough at bedtime (which can affect night sleep). Googling average awake/nap times for bubs age can help.

Good luck to your friend.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

made2bAmummy  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you very much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    Thank you very much
    Did any of these tips help your friend OP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having similar problems with my 16 month old. He's not waking that many times.. Only once/somrtimes twice but it's doing my head in.

I started cc last night ( had done it in the past but then when he was sick about 3/4 months ago I brought him into bed with me so he's gotten used to it). It's hard but I am going to persevere. My son shares a room with his 6 year old brother too so makes if even harder because my older son sometimes wakes to go to the toilet and is quite loud and wakes the baby.

Anyway, I know how you feel. My other kids were all pretty good sleepers most of the time so this is new to me.

Good luck with it.