+ Reply to Thread

Default 6 year old struggling at school.

Hi All,

I am new to the thread and just wanted to say hi!

I was also hoping for a bit of advice. My daughter is 6 years old, grade 1.
    She has always been an average student, struggled a little with sight words and remembering days of the week, also write her numbers, name and other words backwards from time to time. However we have now moved area and changed her school mid year, and at this new school she is extremely far behind. Most of her class are reading at a grade 2-3 level and independently reading and answering questions in a PRIME maths book.

I feel so bad for her. her teacher has mentioned on several occasions how much catching up we have to do, and how far behind she is. we have been doing homework almost every day for nearly an hour since she started ( 2weeks of last term, the school holidays and this week).

she does quite well when are doing homework together, and has already shown great improvment. but asking her to answer the sums or read a sentence independently and it all seems to go out the window.

I would also like to get her tested for dyslexia, just incase.

who knew year 1 could be so much pressure and so stressful!

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh what a stressful situation for you OP. Is it just reading that is an issue? Has the school suggested what the 'next step' might be? If it were my daughter in this situation I would be speaking to the school welfare person/psychologist to see what your options are for assessment. In Victoria there are a number of public clinics that see kids with suspected learning disabilities/difficulties. Though the wait list may be long, could you see if there is something like that where you live? It might be worth putting her name down on a waiting list now just in case you want to go ahead with it.

That being said, I don't think you should panic just yet! You said that she has always been an average student and she has had a big change recently by the sound of it. It's a new environment, teacher, learning style, social situation, etc. that she needs to get used to. That would have an effect on anyone's learning ability I think! Did the teachers at her last school raise any issues? If not, the issue may just be different academic expectations at this school combined with maybe some adjustment issues.

Rochedale South
    Have you asked the Teacher if there is any extra help available or what you can do at home to help?

My 8 year old has struggled with reading and writing over the last year and I can understand how frustrating it is. We have had many different tests at the suggestion of our school but have failed to come up with a reason. His Teacher has given us some suggestions to help at home and we are often in contact via email to keep up to date with his progress. He is getting there slowly and I have an appointment with our Learnig Enrichment Teacher next week to discuss the next steps. The school should be guiding you as they are the experts