+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Quiet books and felt crafts

Anyone into making these? I had never heard of quiet books until I made a busy board for my 1 year old, then had the bright idea of making a "fabric busy board" and discovered that's basically what quiet books are.

And they're so cool! There's so many good ideas online, they seem to have been perfected by Mormon mom bloggers

So I'm in the process of making more of a board/wall hanging thing rather than a book, it's Nintendo themed so there'll be elements from a bunch of our favourite games, combined with zips and buttons and studs and stuff. Like a platformer level built out of fabric and craft supplies

And since I'm sure I'll have a bunch of felt left over, I'm keen to make some little toys later, any ideas? Ooh and does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with felt scraps? I have a huge bag of tiny pieces already!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is one of the "features" that I've made so far
    Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 12.34.08 pm.jpg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (22-07-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    We live Mario Bros here!

I haven't perfected the art of craft (I'm not detail oriented enough) buy my Mum makes amazing quiet books for her grand kids. My boys got her first ones when they turned 1. They were fantastic 6 years ago but she is even better now. She is working on one for dd's 2nd birthday in a few weeks. I cannot wait to see it!
    Have you seen all the ideas on Pinterest?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I finally finished a quiet book for DS1 a few days ago - only 18 months or so after I started it! I've used a mix of fabric pages, with some felt and some fabric for the activities.

My favourite is the Mr Potatohead dress-up page - it was a lot of fun coming up with ridiculous ears/hats/arms etc.

After putting so much work into it, I'm almost afraid to give it to DS now! Maybe for his 2nd birthday?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    Have you seen all the ideas on Pinterest?
    Yes! I don't like using Pinterest at all but I've browsed through hundreds of pictures. I've grabbed a bunch of ideas to adapt to our theme, for example instead of plucking little carrots from a garden I'll have some pikmin to pluck, or a Yoshi style door to unzip (thank you Yoshi's Wooly World!).
    I love the food assembly pages, like build a sandwich or icecream, but I think I'll have to wait for project #2 to incorporate those.
    I also find the felt bible stories kind of cute and funny, they gave me the idea to make a science themed quiet book later on too (since science is our faith?)

Your children sound very lucky! I wasn't sure if they were really a 'thing' in Australia or if it were more American.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    After putting so much work into it, I'm almost afraid to give it to DS now! Maybe for his 2nd birthday?
    Hahaha I know the feeling, I've bought some rather fancy components from Etsy that I think are way too nice to be ruined by my 1 year old.
    Maybe DH and I will just play with it instead