+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Help! Night waking!

My DS is turning 1 in a few days and is waking 2-3 times a night for a bottle. I'm exhausted and I just don't get it. He's almost 1!

He has 3-4 bottles (200ml) during the day, 3 meals of solids, and snacks.

He has 2 day sleeps, one is for about an hour and the other will be longer, usually 2hrs or more. He self settles perfectly for day sleeps.

At night he fights going to sleep, it can take hours.

Last night we ended up giving him a second bedtime bottle as he was screaming, and he finally went to sleep at 8:30 (bedtime is 6:30). He then fed at 11pm and 2am and was up for the day at 6am. My 4yo got up at 5:30am.

How do I fix this?? Why is he so hungry at night???

I can't sustain this, I just got over a horrible bout of bronchitis that went on for over 6 weeks as I just couldn't get any sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How long has it being going for? Could you up the volume of milk during the day? He might just be hungry.

Or it's teeth and molars. Try panadol. Good luck. It sucks.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Night waking!

He's never slept through but we did get him to 1 night feed for about a month but he's been waking 2-3 times for months now. It seems to be getting worse, he's getting harder to get back to sleep.

I reintroduced the mid-afternoon bottle to try to increase his daytime intake but it hasn't made a difference.

We also got him a sleeping bag and he has a small heater in his room so I know he's not cold.
    Last edited by Cue; 22-07-2015 at 07:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no advice sorry but my boy is exactly the same he turned 1 on 2 July. I could have written your post!

I have just stopped night feeding cold turkey and am using the 'camping out' method to help him settle. It worked beautifully with his settling for his day naps and going to bed at night (can literally kiss him put him down and walk out now) but when he wakes at night usually only once now it takes ages (2 hrs last night). I have come to accept that he must just need me at night but it's exhausting..

Feel your pain :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son is 2 and still wakes several times a night. He was sleeping through for a little while, but that didn't last long. He fights bedtime most nights, wakes up within an hour or two and cries. He takes ages to settle. And he only ever wants me, Daddy just doesn't cut it. Last night I had about 5 hours broken sleep between wake ups and then he wanted to get up at 6am.

So basically, I don't have any advice because I have no idea what their deal is but I can tell you that you're not alone. I definitely understand the exhaustion, DS has been a bad sleeper his whole life. It sucks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I think he's sleeping too much in the day. My DS is only 9 months and doesn't sleep that much.

What time does he wake from his last nap?

What are his solids like? Have you transitioned to regular soy/rice/almond/oat milk instead of formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh my goodness, this brings back memories of both of my kids at that age!

When is he waking from his later nap? Maybe he needs a slightly later bedtime if he is still having two naps?

There were a couple of things playing into my son's nighttime waking at that age. Firstly, night weaning him made a HUGE difference to his night awakenings. He seemed hungry when he woke during the night and always fed, but it was partly habit. There was also part hunger, but once we night weaned he started eating more during the day to make up for it. Secondly, teething meant lots of night wakings at various times. We just went with it and did what worked. Thirdly, developmental changes. Same as with teething, we just went with it.

If I were you, I would consider night weaning in an attempt to get him to consume more during the day. I would also be looking at the total amount of sleep in 24 hour period and make sure naps are timed well.

I hope you get some relief soon - I found it really hard to have kids that still were bad sleepers after 1 year of age. It's like I was programmed to 'go with the flow' for a year, but once it hit that stage my coping dropped dramatically!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I think he's sleeping too much in the day. My DS is only 9 months and doesn't sleep that much.

What time does he wake from his last nap?

What are his solids like? Have you transitioned to regular soy/rice/almond/oat milk instead of formula?
    I thought that too, but when I called Tresillian they said not to mess with his day sleep as it'll make things worse. He really needs 2 naps, he's rubbing his eyes like crazy by 9am and again by 1pm. He's up from his last nap anywhere between 2-3:30pm. Bedtime is 6:30. He can last up to 3-3.5hrs awake time before he gets super cranky.

DD didn't sleep this much at this age, she was starting to drop to 1 sleep of 1.5-2hrs by this age. When he wakes it seems to be from genuine hunger, if we try to resettle without feeding him he gets so upset and worked up, and that's when it's hard to settle him even after a feed.

Solids are improving but challenging. He has a diagnosed uncoordinated swallow, he gags and vomits a bit, and he was CMPI as a bub (but has been doing well with the challenge, no reactions with cheese or yoghurt).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I seriously feed him constantly during the day - he gets 4 bottles, 3 meals, plus snacks. I feed until he refuses the food and offer solid food frequently (to fill him up, but also different sizes/textures etc to practice his chew & swallow).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I seriously feed him constantly during the day - he gets 4 bottles, 3 meals, plus snacks. I feed until he refuses the food and offer solid food frequently (to fill him up, but also different sizes/textures etc to practice his chew & swallow).
    Maybe time for night weaning then if you know he eats well in the day.

PS that's great about the dairy!!