+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Check for a restrictive upper lip tie or tongue tie that can affect the latch and make baby gobble down lots of excess air and vomit their milk back up. It would also cause her tummy pains from excess gas. I wish someone told me about that a year ago.

I had a non-sleeping baby and was driven almost mad with exhaustion., Rely heavily on family or friends if you can to get rest during the day. Help from my parents got us through. Hopefully this stage will pass quickly for you, but if not there are heaps of places to seek help and some of the telephone numbers for those places will be listed in your baby's health records book. Find those numbers now and don't hesitate to ring them if things don't improve.

Wrapping (swaddling) with pure cotton cot sheets was one thing that helped us a lot.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cardi For This Useful Post:

Ryanj  (22-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses!

We originally swaddled her, but then found those sleeping bags easier to use as she was a strong baby and could get out of a swaddle.

after reading your responses last night we decided to try swaddling again (I just did it better this time haha) and we could really see an improvement!, still not much sleep but she was more settled than the previous nights.

Thank you!, We just have to ride out the storm haha.
    We will take her out for a small walk today to get her some sunlight

Ryan

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some great suggestions here!

Try the love to dream swaddles, they cant get out and are safe for the hips etc plus bubs can self soothe by being able to get their hands to their face. We found these an absolute godsend!

Keep going you are doing a great job! The newborn days are really hard going but it does get better and before you know it you'll have a rampaging two-legged-wrecking-ball back chatting toddler and wishing they were this tiny again!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ponytail For This Useful Post:

Ryanj  (22-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Putting newborn down without crying?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanj View Post
    Thanks for the responses!

We originally swaddled her, but then found those sleeping bags easier to use as she was a strong baby and could get out of a swaddle.

after reading your responses last night we decided to try swaddling again (I just did it better this time haha) and we could really see an improvement!, still not much sleep but she was more settled than the previous nights.

Thank you!, We just have to ride out the storm haha.
    We will take her out for a small walk today to get her some sunlight

Ryan
    Ryan my bub is 8 weeks and was fully nocturnal like yours, napping in the day and partying all night. He's now got a much better sense of things so hang in there it will change.

Good on you for being such an involved dad. Go along with Mum to the new parents group when you join one, you'll learn a lot there and they usually are open to dads attend in its just that dad's rarely go,

Google Dr Howard Chilton, he's a paediatrician who writes and blogs about babies and understanding that unlike other mammals, when they are born they are really not ready to be separated from mum, think of them like an external fetus, so they like to be kept close and snuggly and it's a big adjustment from constant nutrition in utero to suddenly having this hungry tummy feeling.

Breastmilk is a contact milk which means it works when it contacts the tummy and lasts about 30 minutes so don't worry if baby is feeding often.

You should get a visit from your local early childhood nurse soon so write up a list of questions but if you need answers sooner you can just call them up to ask.

Things will get a lot better in a week or two and in the coming weeks and don't forget you can call the Tresillian Family help line for free anytime during the day for advice on settling and sleeping from the super experts there. Lots of advice on their website too: http://www.tresillian.net

1800 637 357

Get all the advice/help you can, experiment to find out what works for you and then do what you think feels best. becoming new parents is a big deal and you aren't supposed to just suffer through and hope you work it out - that's why there are so many services offering help!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Ryanj  (22-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Also, feeding in this position may help get bubs to take a nap: ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1437524050.517459.jpg

Your job is to stay awake (don't get into the bed as well or you'll pass out) and when Bub falls asleep and breathing becomes nice and steady, gently lift baby into its own cot. Don't rely on mum being able to do it - breastfeeding releases sleepy hormones into mum so it's hard to stay awake like this especially in the early days.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Ryanj  (22-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Also, basically what @VicPark said. What baby wants, baby gets.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1437524317.813201.jpg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

amyd  (22-07-2015),Cardi  (23-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry I haven't read any replies but have you tried warming the bassinet before putting baby down?

While I feed I pop a hot bottle or heat pack in baby's spot in his bed and take if out before putting baby down.

Then it's less of a temperature difference between my arms and his bed. Works a treat!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (01-08-2015),babyla  (22-07-2015),nh2489  (31-07-2015),SJ565  (31-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Sorry I haven't read any replies but have you tried warming the bassinet before putting baby down?

While I feed I pop a hot bottle or heat pack in baby's spot in his bed and take if out before putting baby down.

Then it's less of a temperature difference between my arms and his bed. Works a treat!
    Ok this is frigging great!!! I'm doing this! I've been thinking that going from my warm arms to a vast, cold cot is not doing us any favours!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Some brilliant advice here

I would also add that newborns shouldn't be awake any longer than 1 hour and that includes feeding.

So when bub wakes, feed bub one breast (or well your partner of course), burp, change nappy, feed second side, then out down to sleep. Often bub will be asleep after the second breast so you'll just need to transfer her and the hot water bottle idea does work a treat.

I also second the love to dream Swaddles. Their arms are up, you zip it up and away you go.

There are other hands down versions such as the woombie and others that have a pouch for their legs then flaps that wrap around their arms and Velcro closed.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sounds random but have you tried a vibrating teddy?

My baby boy is 8 weeks old today, but I had similar difficulty when he was a newbie.

It sounds a bit random but we got given a vibrating toy which I put in the bassinet with him before he went to sleep and he loved it. It's called the Fisher-Price Calming Vibrations Cuddle Soother and it vibrates and plays lullabies.

I turned off the music, but he really liked the vibrations. I put in in there for a few minutes and he usually nodded off. Obviously took it out once he was asleep - but worth a try...?

Hope this helps! x

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NewMosmanMum For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (31-07-2015)