+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Would you let them use photos you paid for?

I sold my house and paid just over $6000 for advertising, which included professional photos of course.

The purchasers are leasing the property out and they want to use the photos we paid for, with our furniture etc in them (the property manager has emailed me).

If it were you in my shoes, would you be ok with the purchaser using your photos (with your permission)? Curious to know what others would do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I should add that they want to start advertising prior to settlement. Not sure I'm happy with that, I would kind of like to get out before that happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't be okay with them using them before settlement but after- I'd be fine with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I wouldn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    I wouldn't be okay with them using them before settlement but after- I'd be fine with it
    Same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id say no. They can get their own pics after settlement and your stuff is out.

Wouldnt the pics belong to the photographer? You would only have permission to use them for advertising for sale only.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Technically they are not your photos - they are the photographers , you paid for them to be taken just like at a portrait place but the photographers have the rights to the photos - check your agreement but all the photographers I know ( including those portrait place ones ) have the rights - you are paying for the copies

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

dido  (23-07-2015),LoveLivesHere  (21-07-2015),mim  (22-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My buyer just took them off the internet to advertise for tenants. Pretty annoying when you're the one who paid for them but not much you can do about it when anyone can save a photo from the Internet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes what a previous poster said is correct. The new owners will need to contact the original photographer and probably pay a fee for additional usage. The photographer should contact you to check your permission as it's your home I assume with your personal belongings on display.

It's illegal to just use images you found on the internet without consent but most people (including big business) are completely ignorant or don't care about copyright laws. I run a portrait biz in Perth & one of our images was taken off our website & printed out as a large display canvas at a local Harvey Norman store. We only found out because the client saw it & let us know. HN was annoyed when we asked them to stop using it! It's really very frustrating...