+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What makes a good education?

On paper I think I might appear to be educated - finished high school, got a degree from a good university, went on to do a masters... But I literally remember nothing from school!! It's embarrassing that I have forgotten so much and quite honestly have always had terrible general knowledge. I actually enjoy studying but hated school. Something came up last night when dp was explaining a maths concept to dd1 who is 8 and I got it wrong! I know my brain has turned to mush being sahm for 8 years but honestly I think I forgot most of what i learnt in school the day after each exam!
    Am I just weird with a bad memory or can anyone else relate?? I wasn't bad at maths at school but probably not best subject. I think I'm feeling confused and disillusioned at the whole fuss about education. Is it just important to get into uni and get a good job or is a good education worthwhile in itself and can I please go back to school now and relearn all that I've forgotten?!?

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    That's a great question!

I'm well educated (currently doing a PhD) but I also forget so much from school! I hated school also but love learning. Where I'm at at the moment, its much more important to be able to find out information, new skills and problem solve than it is to know a million (slight exaggeration) useless facts.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (21-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What is a good education?

One which gives you the skills to be able to function in society and live as full of a life as one cares to take.

Education in today's world is ongoing. It doesn't stop at year 12, trade school or uni. Today's demands on the workforce, particularly with many companies attempting to constantly grow their profit margin whilst reducing staffing numbers, require its participants to be constantly upskilling and diversifying in their skills being both adaptable and flexible to changing environments and tasks required of them. It's about having the skills as AWC said of being able to access, use and create information whilst being both innovative and assertive.

And yes, every day I spend at home I feel just that little bit more stupid.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 20-07-2015 at 22:44.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (21-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    That's a great question!

I'm well educated (currently doing a PhD) but I also forget so much from school! I hated school also but love learning. Where I'm at at the moment, its much more important to be able to find out information, new skills and problem solve than it is to know a million (slight exaggeration) useless facts.
    Thanks! This is how I used to feel about education I think I'm just feeling so brain dead and dull now I just wish I at least remembered the facts from school 😀 I think I really enjoy discovery but seem not to hold onto information for long.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    What is a good education?

One which gives you the skills to be able to function in society and live as full of a life as one cares to take.

Education in today's world is ongoing. It doesn't stop at year 12, trade school or uni. Today's demands on the workforce, particularly with many companies attempting to constantly grow their profit margin whilst reducing staffing numbers, require its participants to be constantly upskilling and diversifying in their skills being both adaptable and flexible to changing environments and tasks required of them. It's about having the skills as AWC said of being able to access, use and create information whilst being both innovative and assertive.

And yes, every day I spend at home I feel just that little bit more stupid.
    I think this ongoing learning is missing in my life being at home with kids. Of course there are different skills and knowledge I'm picking up but I really want to find time to learn, we spend so much time in formal education and then lots of us stop learning...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    On paper I think I might appear to be educated - finished high school, got a degree from a good university, went on to do a masters... But I literally remember nothing from school!! It's embarrassing that I have forgotten so much and quite honestly have always had terrible general knowledge. I actually enjoy studying but hated school. Something came up last night when dp was explaining a maths concept to dd1 who is 8 and I got it wrong! I know my brain has turned to mush being sahm for 8 years but honestly I think I forgot most of what i learnt in school the day after each exam!
    Am I just weird with a bad memory or can anyone else relate?? I wasn't bad at maths at school but probably not best subject. I think I'm feeling confused and disillusioned at the whole fuss about education. Is it just important to get into uni and get a good job or is a good education worthwhile in itself and can I please go back to school now and relearn all that I've forgotten?!?
    ME! Totally me.
    My memory is absolutely awful. I don't remember a thing I learnt at school.
    The only thing from studying that I can still recall is stuff that I then went on to use for many years in a working environment, so when I was studying vet nursing, and then went to work in the animal industry for many years, I can still recall a lot of the stuff that I was explaining to customers on a daily basis. Anything that I learnt just for an exam is completely gone.
    I regularly feel like the dumbest person on the planet. I seriously feel stupid. I have NO general knowledge at all. My geography and history knowledge is laughable, embarrassing. I know nothing about anything. I think it's the main source of my self esteem issues to be honest, is that I just feel DUMB. Luckily I am well spoken (not really but comparitively) and outwardly appear educated - so hopefully I won't embarrass my poor children too much unless I get caught having to take part in some trivial persuit game or something. *shudder*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Thanks! This is how I used to feel about education I think I'm just feeling so brain dead and dull now I just wish I at least remembered the facts from school 😀 I think I really enjoy discovery but seem not to hold onto information for long.
    I remember relevant information from school that I use. I rarely use the formula for circumference and their must be an app that can do it for me. A lot of maths skills are irrelevant as you always have a device to do the thinking.

You'd remember a lot of the writing, punctuation kind of stuff you were taught because you needed to use it on a daily basis while doing a degree.

The problem with being at home is that no one expects us to use any of the information we collected in our degrees and thus it falls by the wayside to make way for information about the safe way to cosleep and the benefits of breastfeeding. Lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (21-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [ its much more important to be able to find out information, new skills and problem solve than it is to know a million (slight exaggeration) useless facts.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Since starting uni again, I've come to realise that aside from basic things like reading, writing and arithmetic, a good education is more about teaching you critical thinking, analysis and how to research.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-07-2015),Freyamum  (21-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well that's one thing I am good at is research. I often have people ask me questions on certain topics because I am very good at finding answers. Maybe I have to be good at finding answers because I don't actually know anything.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (21-07-2015)