+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I need some advice/ suggestions on how to access early Mat leave.

Hi all,

I'm stressing myself out over mat leave and was hoping that someone out there might have been in a similar situation and be able to give some advice.

So my situation is this... I'm currently 8+5 pregnant with my first baby! Yay!
    Due 24/2/16

I'm a nurse and we are planning on moving home interstate pre birth as we have nobody here. Ideally we would leave at 30 weeks as our lease runs out then and it's Christmas the following week! We are going to have so much to organise, move interstate pregnant with 2 dogs, buy a new car, move into new place, get familiar with hospital etc.

Now I'm entitled to 10 ?12 paid week mat leave but I can't access that until 34 weeks.

So what can I do? I doubt I'll be allowed annual leave over Xmas. Lying to get a medical certificate gives me anxiety just thinking about it so I'm really not sure what to do.

Ahhhh any help would be so great
    Last edited by A&S; 20-07-2015 at 17:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you quitting your job to move? Are you talking about centrelink ppl?

At 30 weeks i wouldnt stress so much about moving etc while pregnant, i am 39 weeks and things are only just getting uncomfortable now (i have had a straight forward pregnancy). All the other things you need to do (dogs, car etc) will fall into place and in the big scheme of things wont take much.

I would try and save and take unpaid leave, or use some annual leave/unpaid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you sure you can't access your mat leave before 34 weeks? Do you work for the government? In the past I've left early and I got paid leave from the date I put on the form. I work for the government. Your ob will write you a note at 30 weeks if you do need it, my midwife was encouraging me to take leave from 28 weeks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I won't technically be quitting otherwise I won't be entitled to mat leave. DP is going to take the PPL when Bub is born so it's just the paid work leave that I'm concerned about.

As a nurse you're super lucky to get leave over Xmas and unfortunately it's all booked out. It's just bad timing really.

Maybe I'll have to come out with an excuse and get a medical certificate. I'm so anxious to get home. My mum is not well and I'm incredibly homesick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Acadaca really? That's awesome news!!! Yep I work in a public hospital. I work in a very high acuity area with patients receiving chemotherapy so I am really limited even now with the patients I can look after. I also work 12 hour shifts so it's going to be a struggle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    @Acadaca really? That's awesome news!!! Yep I work in a public hospital. I work in a very high acuity area with patients receiving chemotherapy so I am really limited even now with the patients I can look after. I also work 12 hour shifts so it's going to be a struggle.
    Yeah, check it out. Our award says you must leave at 34 weeks unless you have a medical certificate, but you can certainly take it earlier than that. HR should be able to help with specifics.