Closed Thread
Page 6 of 105 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,

First, congratulations to all the recent BFPs.
    Second, I am posting primarily so that I continue to get the e-mails. It's my 11:00am pick me up, it's always good to hear from you ladies on the other side of the world going through the same struggles that I am. Quite honestly, I can relate to you all more than most of my friends. Infertility is such a lonely and trying process. Thanks to those in SA#9 for being so open about what we all are going through. It made me feel less lonely in this process.
    Third, I know you can't transport embryos to Australia, but for those who are from other countries, here is what I have learned over the past month.
    - Cryozoom is a courier recommended by one of the egg/sperm banks in Canada. They are reasonably priced and the response was personal and answered all my questions and then some.
    - It takes about two months from when CFC gets confirmation that the receiving clinic will take the embryos to start shipping. SA customs must clear this before you start shipping and this part of the process takes two months.
    - My lab in Toronto requires the blood tests from the donors. Right now they are deliberating whether they will take a letter from Dr. Wiswedel that states the blood results but not the names.
    - It has taken about a month to figure out what CFC needs to ship them and what the clinic here needs to accept the embryos.

So, as with this whole process, PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE and hurry up and wait. Once again, I am in a holding pattern, but again, as with this whole process, I have to believe that it will work out.

Sending you all sunshine from Canada.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Canuck1 For This Useful Post:

emski72  (22-07-2015),JulieMalooley  (22-07-2015),KLM0511  (22-07-2015),mardicharli  (22-07-2015),Miss Sagi  (22-07-2015),TannyMac  (23-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok everyone, here is a rundown of what we did and what I recommend... it may help someone..

Accommodation:
    Week one – stayed at the ‘Marina’ – listed on booking.com as ‘V&A Marina – Waterfront Apartments’. The location was fantastic, it was an apartment so self catering, 5 minute walk to the Marina and 15 minute drive to the clinic. The complex was really nice, the room overlooked their ‘canal’. Its much nicer than it looked on the internet but I’m not sure if all the rooms overlook the water. Very tight security too. Somewhere around $1000 for 6 nights but we didn’t have time to look for better prices.

Week two – stayed at the ‘Vineyard’ as recommended by @emski72. It was very lush, the gardens were spectacular, and the food to die for. Also around $1000 for the 6 nights.
    Last night we spent at the Inverdoorn Game Reserve which was about $450 for the one night for two of us. That included an afternoon and morning safari and we saw every animal there was. It was great. Their ‘baby’ rhinos which are still being bottle fed (!) are gigantic !!!

Restaurants:
    Every morning we had to get our own breakfast we ate at the ‘Veto Velo’ bakery. OMG their food was delicious. Also, nobody else on the V&A waterfront is open very early.
    We ate at the ‘Harbour House’ at the V&A Waterfront, which was probably our most expensive meal, and their other one at Kalk Bay – what a view.
    Dinner at ‘Seelan’ on the V&A Waterfront was very good.
    We then ate a heap of meals at the ‘Square’ restaurant in the Vineyard hotel, as well as in their café, and had an 8 course (!) meal in their Myoga restaurant which was more spectacular than anything I’ve seen on masterchef !! I think that meal was around $40 each, but wow. After having that, we decided to pass on the ‘Test Kitchen’ as yes it may be good and recommended by everyone, but not sure it could have been better than Myoga.
    We missed out on the high tea at the ‘Mt Nelson’ hotel which I was so bummed about because lots of people have mentioned it, but it was booked out.
    ‘Bientang’s Cave’ at Hermanus had a spectacular view, but unfortunately the sea was so choppy that day we had no chance of spotting a whale. Hermanus is a very pretty town also. Heaps of places to eat there.
    We had a lunch at ‘La Petite Ferme’ at Franschoek which also had spectacular food and a great view over their vineyard.
    We wanted to go to the ‘Gold’ restaurant which was authentic African food but didn’t make it there..

We hired a car with ‘Aroundabout car hire’. One thing that you MUST DO is make sure there is a street directory in your hire car. The garmin didn’t have quite a few streets in it and even though the suburb may have been ‘Newtown’ say, it would be in the garmin as ‘Cape Town’ which was a pain. You still need the garmin as the freeways are a maze of on and off ramps which confused us a lot even WITH the garmin.

Other Stuff we did:
    Spent far too much time at the V&A Marina eating and looking around and ran out of time to do other stuff.
    The penguins at 'Boulders Beach', very nicely setup and the wildlife is protected from interference pretty well, and soooo cute.
    The Aquarium at the Marina I wouldn’t recommend. If you’ve seen good aquariums, then don’t go to this one. It was ‘ok’ just for DP to see the different fish species, but way less than others I’ve seen. It was only around $10 to get in though, so if you’ve got some spare time, why not.
    We didn’t find a lot of cheap shopping surprisingly considering how cheap the food and alcohol is. DP bought himself a baseball style jacket for $12 at ‘Mr Price’ which he was pretty chuffed about lol.
    We went to only a couple of wineries in Franschoek and bypassed Stellanbosch altogether as DP is a non-drinker and its not much fun testing wine with a spectator. That was one of the few miserable days too, but the only day we saw babboons on the road – even though we’d been told to expect them EVERYWHERE.
    We spent an entire day at the Cape, Cape Point Lighthouse, Cape of Good Hope and driving down every road there was in the national park. They were mostly deserted but we spotted heaps of wildlife doing this – ostriches, tortoises, about 4 different types of gazelle/deer, seals…
    The shark dive was something else – we went with ‘African Shark Eco-Tours’ and it was one of the dearest at around $450 for both of us I think, but the leave from Simons Town which is very close to CT (the others are not) and they go out to Seal Rock which only has 4 licenced operators allowed to go to it, so no crowds. Only 4 people in a cage, but I didn’t bother getting into the frigid water as we saw 15 to 20 seal attacks from on the boat which had a rooftop viewing platform.
    Table Mountain of course – as everyone says, if it’s a clear day when you wake up, race up there as the cloudy haze comes down so quickly.

What we missed out on:
    I didn’t realise until the last day that the only piece of coast we didn’t do included ‘Chapmans Peak’ which is also highly recommended. Very bummed. We did 1400km of driving all the rest of the coast and it was just magnificent. We got very lucky with the weather, only 1 miserable day.
    Robben Island – DP didn’t particularly want to go there anyway.
    Neighbourhood markets at the old biscuit mill - both our Saturdays were booked
    Last edited by JulieMalooley; 22-07-2015 at 13:29.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JulieMalooley For This Useful Post:

Aquinos77  (24-04-2016),Canuck1  (22-07-2015),emski72  (22-07-2015),ferngirl  (28-07-2015),Kay2015  (22-07-2015),KLM0511  (22-07-2015),Outoftime  (20-10-2015),Sunnygirl04  (22-07-2015),TannyMac  (23-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry, that was really big..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

JulieMalooley  (22-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by leyshoja View Post
    sorry, that was really big..

Haha!

It sounds like the trip was too!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnygirl04 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was, we needed to come home for a rest

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by emski72 View Post
    @Lisaxxx how are you doing love? Just checking in on you x
    Hi Emski,
    Thank you for asking, I haven't had a chance to be on for about a week. I had another scan yesterday and all still going ok 9 weeks today Having another scan in 2 weeks.

Just a question with regards to meds did you stay on clexane until 12 weeks as I was thinking I might and also SA say crinone until 11 weeks but I was probably thinking 12 weeks also?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisaxxx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy69 View Post
    Sunny - you are dead on about the $1100 - my mistake. I went back and looked at my tax return and realised I owed $400 on the private health insurance levy so the $700 is net of that.

KLM - sorry if the conversation upset you. I figured the financial aspect has such a great impact for most of us when we are on this journey, that the cessation of the offset was relevent to raise as I for one hadn't realised it was ending.
    Hi Cathy, no that wasn't me.
    But KMP.

Take care.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KLM0511 For This Useful Post:

Cathy69  (22-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Do you have a clotting disorder Lisa or was it just a preventative taking the clexane. If you have an actual clotting issue you'd be best having a consult with a haematologist, I found it really helpful. If no clotting issues, you'd be fine to take it til 12 weeks although you could probably stop at 11...I stopped all meds at 10w and clexane at about 7 weeks in the end after a big bleed and a consult with my haematologist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by emski72 View Post
    Do you have a clotting disorder Lisa or was it just a preventative taking the clexane. If you have an actual clotting issue you'd be best having a consult with a haematologist, I found it really helpful. If no clotting issues, you'd be fine to take it til 12 weeks although you could probably stop at 11...I stopped all meds at 10w and clexane at about 7 weeks in the end after a big bleed and a consult with my haematologist.
    Thanks Emski, I don't have a clotting issue. My previous FS have just said clexane until 12 weeks if pregnant, I think its just a preventative and for killer cells which a biopsy revealed I had.