+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Recurrent miscarriage question

I'm miscarrying for the third time currently and I have a ds (17mths). I was hoping that the only good thing to come from this is they'll look into why it keeps happening. Has anyone gone through testing and found anything? I'm not planning on giving up just yet.

Any experiences would be great, thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 5 miscarriages. Two before my first born so not enough for testing. And then 3 in a row before falling with my DS. They finally tested me for recurrent miscarriages then and found I had two MTHFR gene mutations which may or may not have been contributing (blood clotting genes). I took aspirin with my DS and am taking it again for baby number 3 (currently 15 weeks). Good luck with testing. And I'm really sorry you've had to go through the heart ache as well x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear you've had to go through this. It might be worth having a biopsy to check the level of your natural killer cells? High levels can contribute to miscarriages 😔

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies,
    Glad they've found a solution for you wannaBmummy...
    Hopefully I'll get an answer as well and I'll get my baby soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Go and get the bloods done for everything. There is a list on the hub somewhere of a whole stack of things to get checked.
    We lost 4 in a row after having previous babies.
    Was FVL (blood clotter) and ANA+(640) for us.

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry you're going through this!

I had 3 miscarriages after my DS and I am now 16 weeks pregnant.

I did all the bloods and scans and found nothing abnormal.

For this pregnancy my obstetrician put me on progesterone, I also see an acupuncturist and did weekly appointments and Chinese herbs for 3 months before trying again. I even tried the shettles method to try for a boy as my theory was I couldn't carry girls. Who knows what actually worked for this current pregnancy.

Anyway, my point is definitely do all the tests, but sometimes they don't find anything. Be kind on yourself.

I will send you positive vibes and hope you will get your rainbow baby soon.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm so sorry for your losses

I have had 5 pregnancies. 2 chemical pregnancies, 2 missed miscarriage at 6 weeks and my most recent 3 weeks ago at 9 weeks and my one gorgeous take home baby girl who is now 2.

My first missed miscarriage was in Feb 2012. I had a chemical pregnancy not long after. In May of that year I was diagnosed with a thyroid autoimmune disease called Hashimotos Thyroiditis and put on Thyroxine. I also have low progesterone so when I fell pregnant with my daughter in September of the same year I was put on progesterone support until 12 weeks.

We started trying again for our second in April of this year and were fortunate enough to fall first go but it ended in a chemical pregnancy with AF making her appearance a week after my positive FRER. I fell again in May but I was really really sick every day through my short pregnancy and I knew in my heart something was wrong. We found out at our first scan where baby should have been 9 + 5 that I was measuring 9 weeks and a heartbeat could not be detected. My naturopath and GP feel that this is far too many losses now and we have just started the testing processes.

My thyroid readings were too high post D & C and I'm certain that low progesterone played a part in the loss of this baby but I won't know for sure until I get the results back. Now I don't know your medical history and it is very possible that there may be nothing medically wrong with you but when I was loosing babies, this is what I wish someone had told me so I'm sharing my knowledge with you. If you feel something medically may be wrong, this is where I would start, first and foremost. Ask your GP for a referral for the following:

1. Thyroid antibodies (very important!) Untreated Hashimotos causes miscarriages. That's fact.
    2. TSH, free T3 and free T4 (Thyroid function testing. Depending on those results you may need to get a reading for Reverse T3)
    3. Have your sex hormones tested at 7DPO. This includes estradiol, testosterone and progesterone. Progesterone is very important. Not enough of it, and a baby can not develop.
    4. MTHFR gene. This one isn't covered by Medicare ($60) but highly worth doing. It is a cause of recurrent miscarriages and the first test that an obstetrician will run if you suffer from recurrent miscarriages. GP's aren't as clued in as yet but if you ask, I'm fairly sure a good GP wouldn't deny you. Dependant on the result of that test, you wild need further testing on active folate and ferritin.

Those are the most important for now. I know it sounds like a lot but if you can eliminate all of those, then at least you would know 😊
    If you tested positive to any of those, then at least you know and it can be treated.

I had 8 vials of blood taken today to eliminate things like leaky gut syndrome and adrenal fatigue but it's better to know than not know. To prepare my body for the next pregnancy (I'm not allowed to try for 3 months) I've gone gluten free and sugar free and I already feel SO much better. Obviously I'm not saying you need to do these things but I think that doing those 4 tests above, will give you a much clearer picture of its your body, or if it's just one of those things. I don't believe for a second though that recurrent miscarriages are just one of those things.

Best of luck and if you want any further information (I'm a wealth of knowledge on illness and miscarriages) please feel free to pm me x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so very sorry for your losses It's so hard to come to terms with especially when you make all these plans for another baby and end up heartbroken..
    Between DD1&DD2 we had 3 consecutive losses. I didn't even wait for AF after the 3rd instead falling preg straight away. She's now 6 years old and has another 2 younger sisters. My problem for my losses was the shape of my uterus and where the side implantation occurs.
    I hope you can find out the cause and get another take home bubba x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's one list from a bh member in another thread. There is another list somewhere too that is more comprehensive again but I can't remember where it was.

"Thyroid function tests, lupus anticoagulant inhibitor, ANA, cardio lipin IgG, ENA, factor v Leiden, free protein S, anti thrombin, protein C, HBA1C/GTT, vitamin d, homocysteine, phenotyping (this is the nk blood tests, they check for cd3, cd4, cd8, cd56 and cd19), IgA, IgM, IgG, prothrombin gene mutation, thyroid antibodies, antidna antibodies, antisperm antibodies, mthfr mutation, amh."

I also had a coeliac one done that I can remember. Not everyone does the nk tests. I had bloods done in two lots as the first doctor missed a whole heap which included the most important one.
    I didn't pay a cent for the bloods that were done at the hospital - see if you can go through the clinic there.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for all your responses ladies, I really really appreciate it. Unfortunately I've just been told by the OB at the hospital that they won't do the testing until I've had three mc's in a row (I had 1 before my son was born and the last 2 have only happened in the last few months) so I've got to have another next preg to be eligible. I'll check with my normal GP to clarify but she basically said I've just fallen into the 20% miscarriage category and that it was just bad luck. She said because I'm young they'll wait until I've had another before they test and because I've had a live birth they know my body can do it. Fair enough I guess but I can't bear the thought of going through this again before they'll do something.
    Sorry to all of you who've experienced this, it's such a horrible time. I get pregnant SO easily, so I'm going to take a few months to recover now before trying again.