+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default it just feels so unnatural :(

DD is currently visiting her dad (last night & tonight)

I've never spent more then 1 night away from her her entire life (she's 5)

I feel terrible. I just want her to come home (she's having a great time btw)

How do other parents cope with the separation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How do I cope?
    Watch videos on my phone of DS. Wash DS clothes. Prep DS food for the week.
    So even though I have a "break" when he's at my mums everything I do is centred around him because I miss him and his chubby cheeks so bloody much!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (19-07-2015),Mamasupial  (20-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump my bed is so empty

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default it just feels so unnatural :(

Sending Hugs @BerryDelicious. I'm not a single parent but didn't want to read and run. I know it's not the same but when did started childcare, and I had a couple of days home alone, I really struggled. Keeping busy helped a bit. Xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    You do get used to it somewhat. The separation doesn't feel so intense. I also recognise the opportunity to run around and do housework, shopping, dinner with friends etc. But at the end of the evening when I go to bed, yes it does still feel a bit 'wrong'.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (20-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BerryDelicious View Post
    DD is currently visiting her dad (last night & tonight)

I've never spent more then 1 night away from her her entire life (she's 5)

I feel terrible. I just want her to come home (she's having a great time btw)

How do other parents cope with the separation?
    i have 50:50.

My approach was to keep busy - join a gym, learn piano, join a dating site ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I'm so sorry to read this I've been a single parent but I had (still have) 100% care. I really feel for you, but I'm sure you will get used to it. To be a great parent, you still need to be a whole, fulfilled human being too - there is more to you than just being a mum, use this time to focus on you and the things that make you feel good. Go to the gym, watch a feel good movie, get takeaway, redecorate...your baby will be back home before you know it xxx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amcyus For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (20-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs! I'm a repartnered SP, prior to meeting DF, I found it very hard when DD would go to her Dads for even a few hours. She is 3.5 and doesn't stay overnight with him, the longest he's taken her is for a full day, that was always super tough. I would just try to keep busy. Prior to having my youngest DD, DF and I would use it as our down time and go and see a movie etc. It'll get easier x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Big hugs.

We get 3 nights a fortnight, and it is really really hard- especially as the kids have stated (countless times) that they would rather week on week off.

H doesn't talk about it, but you can see it in his eyes, he feels empty, the house is empty.

We are looking at moving to a bigger place and I think it will make it somewhat easier, as there will only be one empty room- their bedroom.
    Whereas where we are now is small so all the rooms are empty as they spend equal time in all of them.

At the moment, DSD is home sick with me, and I am loving knowing that she is safe, warm and happy and NEARBY!

That's the worse part- not knowing. I have no doubt that their mother looks after them, but I don't KNOW!

ETA: it does get easier. It was really hard at the beginning, when DSD was 2 and DSS a few months... as they get older they take the initiative to keep in touch

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm totally used to it now, and my kid free weekends go too quickly! Probably helps that I have a partner now to share the time with, and our kid free weekends have been in sync since we met.

I get heaps done, such as hair appointments, shopping, housework, lazing around with DP, day trips with DP, the list goes on. DP and I also go out to dinner or see a movie. We also go and watch his boys play sports. I'm never bored!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (20-07-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (20-07-2015)