+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    But why does it matter what they do in the time that they're not teaching your kids? Unless they're flaunting their lifestyle or promoting it to the children, I really struggle to understand this mindset. Teachers are human, they're not perfect and nor should they be held up to be. If it doesn't impact how they work, why does it matter? I find it really bizarre that it is expected that they are all to never get drunk, never take drugs, never have sex lives that don't fit the "good girl" image. Some people are like that, fine. Some aren't. So they should get out of the profession because their private lives don't fit this ideal that some people have?
    You're saying that regularly taking drugs and over indulging in alcohol will not affect their work??

I never said never. I said regularly. I don't want my kids smelling alcohol and/or drugs on their teacher's breath/clothing.

It's not about the ideal. It's about being responsible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    You're saying that regularly taking drugs and over indulging in alcohol will not affect their work??

I never said never. I said regularly. I don't want my kids smelling alcohol and/or drugs on their teacher's breath/clothing.

It's not about the ideal. It's about being responsible.
    Chances are her drinking and drug taking happens on a Friday or Saturday night (speaking from the experience of being a reformed "party girl" and having lots of friends who have / had that lifestyle). Chances are, by the time Monday rolls around she's fine and dandy. Chances are she's not shoving a gram of coke up her nose every weekend; she's a teacher, if she can afford that then she's living off a trust fund. For all we know she's done it once. As for over indulging in alcohol, it's incredibly unlikely kids are smelling anything on her on the Monday unless she's had a huge Sunday session. There's a point when it crosses a line, no doubt. Turning up to work stinking of booze and still dialled from the weekend is definitely a no-no. But it doesn't appear to be the case with this teacher, nor with most teachers who party a bit on the weekend.

She is free to get absolutely trolleyed every Friday and Saturday night as she pleases. She can sleep with whomever she chooses, send nude pics to as many consenting adults as she pleases and live whatever lifestyle she wants. But as long as she turns up to work clean, sober, bright eyed and bushy tailed, then I really don't see how what she does can be called into judgment. She's teaching kids a set curriculum, not raising them after hours and on weekends.

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (21-07-2015),delirium  (20-07-2015),DizzyDaisy  (20-07-2015),Elijahs Mum  (20-07-2015),heplusme  (20-07-2015),Mokeybear  (20-07-2015),MrsBid  (20-07-2015),MrsSS  (21-07-2015),Preshy2008  (20-07-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (20-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (20-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Chances are her drinking and drug taking happens on a Friday or Saturday night (speaking from the experience of being a reformed "party girl" and having lots of friends who have / had that lifestyle). Chances are, by the time Monday rolls around she's fine and dandy. Chances are she's not shoving a gram of coke up her nose every weekend; she's a teacher, if she can afford that then she's living off a trust fund. For all we know she's done it once. As for over indulging in alcohol, it's incredibly unlikely kids are smelling anything on her on the Monday unless she's had a huge Sunday session. There's a point when it crosses a line, no doubt. Turning up to work stinking of booze and still dialled from the weekend is definitely a no-no. But it doesn't appear to be the case with this teacher, nor with most teachers who party a bit on the weekend. She is free to get absolutely trolleyed every Friday and Saturday night as she pleases. She can sleep with whomever she chooses, send nude pics to as many consenting adults as she pleases and live whatever lifestyle she wants. But as long as she turns up to work clean, sober, bright eyed and bushy tailed, then I really don't see how what she does can be called into judgment. She's teaching kids a set curriculum, not raising them after hours and on weekends.
    I was not speaking of this particular teacher. I was speaking in general.I said "if" and "regularly", read it again... that is not ok. I don't care if they hide it well. If my child's teacher smells like alcohol or drugs, it is not ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was not speaking of this particular teacher. I was speaking in general.I said "if" and "regularly", read it again... that is not ok. I don't care if they hide it well. If my child's teacher smells like alcohol or drugs, it is not ok.
    Semantics, this teacher, teachers in general, same difference. And I stand by the "regularly" part, she and every other teacher can do whatever they want every weekend. And I agreed with you, smelling like booze when you turn up to work is unacceptable. But that applies in any job as far as I'm concerned. I just think that in this case that the OP is talking about, the teacher is being really unfairly targeted. I hope that if the parent does take it to the principal that the principal tells the parent to mind their own business

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Semantics, this teacher, teachers in general, same difference. And I stand by the "regularly" part, she and every other teacher can do whatever they want every weekend. And I agreed with you, smelling like booze when you turn up to work is unacceptable. But that applies in any job as far as I'm concerned. I just think that in this case that the OP is talking about, the teacher is being really unfairly targeted. I hope that if the parent does take it to the principal that the principal tells the parent to mind their own business
    That's my point though- there is a line even with personal lives. IF a teacher turned up smelling of alcohol, their personal life will be questioned.

It's not semantics, look at the thread title, it asks if my child's teacher's personal life matter. It does matter. It shouldn't be held against them in most cases, they are human. But there IS a line.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    IMO what a teacher does in their own personal time only matters if it effects what they are doing at school, and honestly, if it is effecting the way they work as a teacher, other staff/principal/parents are going to see that, and the teacher won't be working long anyway, without ridiculous reports from outsiders with clearly no idea about personal time and minding their own business.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

DT75  (20-07-2015),Moxy  (20-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's my point though- there is a line even with personal lives. IF a teacher turned up smelling of alcohol, their personal life will be questioned.

It's not semantics, look at the thread title, it asks if my child's teacher's personal life matter. It does matter. It shouldn't be held against them in most cases, they are human. But there IS a line.
    I'm using the OP's post as an example of "party girl" teachers more broadly, so I do see it as semantics. We have a difference of opinion. What my child's teacher does in their private life is absolutely none of my business. Zero. It has nothing to do with me unless I'm invited to be a part of it. I have no judgment to pass on anything they choose to do in their private time with other consenting adults. We agree on the line though, when it starts to impact their work, then it becomes a problem. You'll not get any argument from me there. But otherwise, what happens in their private life is none of my business. And with the example the OP gave, this behavior isn't affecting her work (from the information given) so she should be left well alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm using the OP's post as an example of "party girl" teachers more broadly, so I do see it as semantics. We have a difference of opinion. What my child's teacher does in their private life is absolutely none of my business. Zero. It has nothing to do with me unless I'm invited to be a part of it. I have no judgment to pass on anything they choose to do in their private time with other consenting adults. We agree on the line though, when it starts to impact their work, then it becomes a problem. You'll not get any argument from me there. But otherwise, what happens in their private life is none of my business. And with the example the OP gave, this behavior isn't affecting her work (from the information given) so she should be left well alone.
    I agree, the teacher in the OP is being treated unfairly.
    But that isn't the example I was using.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If the post had said 'my kids teacher turned up at work stinking like booze, with last nights make up on and pupils like 10 cent pieces' the condemnation would have been universal.

But there's been zero suggestion her work performance was impacted.

Teachers don't get paid enough to be asked to act like Nuns and Priests outside of work hours.

Actually that was tried and it didn't work out so well!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

DT75  (20-07-2015),Moxy  (20-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm another with the majority here - I think it's a disgrace that some anecdotal tales of partying and a few nudie pics are going to presented to the principal to try and defame this woman.

Her job is that of a teacher, and if she's doing that right (which it sounds like she has been if they were 'happy' with her) then that is what matters.