+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 1 year old - sleep regression?

Does this sound like a sleep regression to you? If so how long will it last?

My 1 year old used to sleep through. Now hes started waking overnight for a breastfeed (thats not a problem for me, i can deal with that).

After this feed i put him back down drowsy but awake & he goes back to sleep. Then he wakes up again 30 mins to an hour later & no amount of responsive settling will work - he has to be patted back to sleep. Then he wakes again 30 mins to an hour later & has to be patted back to sleep. Then again & again for the rest of the night.

My husband & I are taking it in turns to lie on the floor in his room after the initial waking so we can pat him back to sleep every 30 mins to an hour until morning.

We are all exhausted & i feel really sorry for ds cause hes never been a great day sleeper so hes not even getting to catch up on much sleep then. Not to mention someone's stupid dog keeps waking him up from day sleeps if we do get him down (& conveniently the dog goes silent for a few weeks as soon as i dob to the Council so i cant even do the noise diary).

His cot wont fit in our room & only a foam mattress will fit in his room, cant fit a bed in there. Sleeping on the foam mattress is causing havoc with my neck (ongoing neck issue) & meaning im having neck-induced migraines regularly which is another thing i dont really need at the moment.

Cosleeping does not work for us.

Anyone have any tips to get through this without cosleeping?
    Last edited by heartstringz; 19-07-2015 at 10:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds has just gone through something similar and I found he was getting a few big molars poor thing. It only lasted a few weeks and he is back to sleeping all night.
    He could be getting more teeth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He might be getting teeth, i can never really tell for sure until they come through

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    There's not a sleep regression as such but there is a growth spurt. Sounds like he's just hungry due to this. Can you try and keep him awake long enough to feed from both boobs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    He might be getting teeth, i can never really tell for sure until they come through
    Maybe give paracetamol before bed and at first waking (if at least 4 hours later) and that would rule out teething at least.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (19-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes he does seem hungry when he wakes the first time & he has a decent feed from both boobs, so i havent been offering a feed when he wakes up the next time because i know hes just had a decent feed. Maybe i should be offering again?? But then he'll just start boobing to sleep & he doesnt transfer

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember this well. It sounds like a sleep regression to me, which unfortunately means that the best thing to do is ride it out. Not what you want to hear but I've found when I tried to fight or fix DS sleep regressions (he hit every one there is) it would make it so much worse for myself. Because it's developmental it's nothing you're doing that has caused it.

Honestly I think what you're currently doing is the best thing. Remind yourself that it won't last and it's not your fault.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (19-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (19-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I remember this well. It sounds like a sleep regression to me, which unfortunately means that the best thing to do is ride it out. Not what you want to hear but I've found when I tried to fight or fix DS sleep regressions (he hit every one there is) it would make it so much worse for myself. Because it's developmental it's nothing you're doing that has caused it.

Honestly I think what you're currently doing is the best thing. Remind yourself that it won't last and it's not your fault.
    Wholeheartedly agree. My kids were the same too.

Try Panadol in case it's teeth.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    With ds i am the same, I cant tell until they are up. Which makes it hard dd was a text book baby so now I feel lost with ds lol