+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Block Duct?! Getting worse and nothing helps!!

About a week and a half ago I noticed a pimple-like spot on my right areola and it was accompanied by mild pain when breastfeeding, but there was no redness or lump. A couple of days ago I had my 6 week postnatal check and by then it had a bit of hardness under it but the ob said it was a blocked duct and it should clear on it's own. But since then it has gotten much worse! It's now a large hard lump under the skin, red and burning sensation. Feeding is absolute agony and between feeds it feels like it's on fire.

I have been doing what I'm supposed the last few days - warm/hot compresses, cold compresses, showers, expressing, keeping hydrated, massaging the hard lump. I don't know what else what to do. It just keeps getting worse and I'm worried it's going to turn into mastitis - if it hasn't already! Bub is also going through his 6 week growth spurt so the pain is keeping me from sleeping in the shorter windows between feeds. Please help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Others will have the correct advice as I haven't done it myself but if you have an actual milk bleb/pimple I believe you can use a sterile needle to lance it and that will clear the blocked duct?
    As for avoiding mastitis- I had it about 8 times in a row until I started taking Lecithin (dietary supplement- in capsules) and it has worked wonders so worth a go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You poor thing. Maybe get checked by a GP to make sure it isn't mastitis?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The pimple like bit seems to have disappeared since it got really bad. While it was there it could be squeezed and stuff would come out (sorry TMI) but now it is just like a little dot no white head. It seemed to get better yesterday - the lump was almost gone and it wasn't so painful and then it came back with a real vengeance.
    I am thinking of even calling the locum doctor service in the morning - these things always seem to happen on weekend when medical care is not so easy to access!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsCS For This Useful Post:

Skye Baby  (19-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You poor thing. Try calling the ABA too - 1800 MUM 2 MUM. They should have some good advice for you. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sound a bit like the start of mastitis. Do you have a temperature?
    Always start your feeds on the side with the lump & if you can direct the babies chin at the lump when feeding do it.
    Use warm washers and massage. Make sure you are wearing a comfortable
    bra that is not restricting or if possible even wear no bra. Make sure your baby is fully draining the breast after each feed, you may need to express if they are't or you may even need to express on the other side for comfort and to keep your supply up on that side if your bub is only taking one side each feed. I think it would be a good idea to see the doctor, if they don't confirm mastitis I would ask for a script for antibiotics just in case things progress into mastitis, so you don't have to go back.

I hate Mastitis I get really sick with it. Hope things get better for you xxoo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I called the ABA helpline and the woman told me to see a GP tomorrow. But through the day it got wore and then in the evening I got suddenly worse (fever, chills,achy). I ended up calling the home doctor service and they gave me antibiotics. They actually carry the antibiotics for it on them so I could start taking it straight away! I definitely wish I'd called in the morning before it got to that point!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Glad you're on the road to recovery now ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    So glad you didn't wait to go to gp! Definatly mastitis Hun, I've had it 7 times and my DS is almost a year old, I don't wish it upon anyone!