+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Holiday ideas with an 18mo

Good evening mums, I hope you're all well!

My DH and I are thinking about a mini break in September with our DS who will be about 18 months - and I'd love to hear your suggestions.

We're probably thinking somewhere north of home (Melbourne), trying to catch some warm weather but not too far for our first plane ride with him, we might save overseas for when he's older. Somewhere where there's lots of things which will keep him entertained.

We've been fairly slack so far and our DS has only spent a night or two away from his cot (but does sleep at daycare everyday). So I'm a bit nervous about taking him away and whether he'll sleep - wherever we go must have a cot for him to sleep (we don't really want to have to carry a portacot) and preferably dark blinds so we can convince him to have day sleeps too (if there's such thing!).

We're thinking maybe Queensland, but love your ideas/experiences.

Many thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It might not quite hit your bill but I'd do Fiji. There's a midnight flight from Melb so bubs can sleep and it's only a five hour flight. I just don't think your guaranteed warm days in WKD in Sept... Fiji will prob be about the same price and is an amazing place to take little ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We did FNQ when DS1 was 11 months old, stayed in Kewarra Beach just north of Cairns. It was awesome. We hired a car and stayed for 5 days. The only negative was his seasickness (and mine) on a catamaran trip out to the great barrier reef which included projectile vomit (him, not me). Other than that the flight distance was fine and the trip was easy and enjoyable. We also did Malaysia (KL and Langkawi) when DS1 was 3.5 and DS2 was 18 months. It was a 3am flight and they both slept before we left and a bit on the plane. The trip home was during the afternoon/evening and was fine, they both watched TV or we read to them or played quiet games. I expected it to be stressful but it was fine. That's a 7 hour flight. I've got a friend who has traveled extensively with her kids from when they were babies (Asia, US, Europe) and just does it. It always works out. And regardless of where you choose to go, remember the flight is only a small part of the trip so try not to let that influence your ideas on where you want to go too much. Flying with kids is like childbirth; you worry about it and sometimes crappy things happen during it but more often than not the memory fades and you end up doing it again anyway ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We took our 14mo and 3.4yo to QLD last year and had a fantastic holiday. Best places we went were probably Cairns, Kuranda and the Daintree. Everywhere we booked provided a cot or portacot and bub surprised us by sleeping really well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all, will check out the suggestions