+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Single and wanting a baby, confused...

Hi,
    I have decided for personal reason that I want to have a baby on my own (in about 2 years) but I have a few things I'm needing help with.
    I'm only 25 so I will around 27 when I start to try for a baby.
    1. Having a baby on my own is a big big decision (but I have family support) I really really feel it's right for me but such a big decision scares me.
    2. Because I keep second guessing my self dose that mean I shouldn't do it? I no I'm only young but I have alway planned to have a baby in late twenties.
    3. I'm planning on going thought a clinic so wondering the cost of everything?
    4. Anyone who has gone though this, how long did it take u to fall pregnant?
    5. Any more info/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi! I used a donor for my second child and it was an at-home conception - which is fine in Victoria. The term you need to google is 'single mother by choice, Australia'. And you will find there's hundreds of us, many your age or younger. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (18-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is really hard to answer, but I guess you need to address what exactly your reservations are.

I personally wouldn't even consider this at 25, so it's hard to imagine. Do you plan to stay single? If you hope to find the right person, I would strongly advise waiting.

Being a single person, you would need sperm donor and IVF, so this rules out using a low cost clinic. I think most regular clinics are about $12000 upfront for your first cycle, but you get reimbursed about half through Medicare.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You don't need ivf unless you are infertile. You can conceive with a know donor at home (this is legal in Victoria - unsure of other states) and use either a known donor, an Australian clinic donor or an overseas sperm donor. Its usual to start with IUI, most clinics won't let you have IVF until you have tired at least twice with IUI. Costs vary, some like Hobart, are much cheaper than others and there are public clinics like the Royal Women's in Melbourne.

It's a little complex as the rules like 'ten family limit' are not as clear as many clinics make out. Is it ten families per state (there is no national register), per country? Some women I know have used US donor sperm here and ended up with kids know have 60+ diblings (donor siblings) in all sorts of places. There's a voluntary register for donor siblings.

I chose a known donor but that's not a simple choice either as it's very personal and legally it's ambiguous. Donors have applied for custody and got it in Australia and although you can have contracts and their name on the register it's still legally a grey area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    You don't need ivf unless you are infertile. You can conceive with a know donor at home (this is legal in Victoria - unsure of other states) and use either a known donor, an Australian clinic donor or an overseas sperm donor. Its usual to start with IUI, most clinics won't let you have IVF until you have tired at least twice with IUI. Costs vary, some like Hobart, are much cheaper than others and there are public clinics like the Royal Women's in Melbourne.

It's a little complex as the rules like 'ten family limit' are not as clear as many clinics make out. Is it ten families per state (there is no national register), per country? Some women I know have used US donor sperm here and ended up with kids know have 60+ diblings (donor siblings) in all sorts of places. There's a voluntary register for donor siblings.

I chose a known donor but that's not a simple choice either as it's very personal and legally it's ambiguous. Donors have applied for custody and got it in Australia and although you can have contracts and their name on the register it's still legally a grey area.
    So know donor is someone u no who donates the sperm? Can the donor from a clinic apply for custody or is this only in know donor cases?
    I'm just starting out on finding out how to go about all this so I'm very new to all the different ways. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by looking for awnswers View Post
    So know donor is someone u no who donates the sperm? Can the donor from a clinic apply for custody or is this only in know donor cases?
    I'm just starting out on finding out how to go about all this so I'm very new to all the different ways. Thanks
    Also do u still get single parent payment? I was told u don't but wasn't sure if that's true or not

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a known donor that can help you conceive at home. I'm based in Brisbane. Hit me up at brizzydonor@hotmail.com and we can chat about how I can help you fall pregnant quickly for no charge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP,
    Check out Solo Mums by Choice. Loads of people who are in various stages of the same process.

http://forum.smcaustralia.org.au/

Thanks
    Reviews

Default No Medicare Rebate

This is an old post however, for anyone looking for info on IVF/IUI
    You cannot claim Medicare rebate if you cannot prove you are infertile.
    The rebate is for individuals/ couples with infertility issues, as it will be classed as a medical condition.
    You are essentially up for full costs & up front payments in most cases.