+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Time out for 3 year old?

I wanna know who took my good little boy and gave me another one that looks like him? LOL

I've heard of the terrible 2's but I think my son skipped and went to terrible 3's instead.

I'm at my wits end. I've tried a whole bunch of tactics from taking toys off him to not buying rewards if he misbehaves etc.

Do you think he is too little for timeout? I heard it's a minute for every year old they are. He's a very clever boy so understanding the concept of timeout should be easy learnt but it's whether it will make him misbehave more or not.

What are your thoughts ladies?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not too young.

I did a parenting program modified for special needs, and our psych said we could use it on my dd at 2yrs!!

We do quiet table first, then the next step is naughty corner. My kids hate the naughty corner so they only ever make it to the quiet table.

Have a google of the triple P

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

ReecesMum  (16-07-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I do time out with my two year old, have done for a few months now.

When I say time out, I mean I remove him from the situation, and we go to a spot that's quiet and away from the action and he sits on my lap. I refuse to talk or interact with him for two full minutes. I hardly ever need to get to that point now. He hates it! He has also learned that he can't leave time out without saying 'sorry mummy', so sometimes he starts saying that as we are walking to time out

If he's misbehaving/not listening, I will begin to count to five. Then when I get to 3 I ask DS if he wants to go in time out. The answer is always no. I then begin counting again and he will do the right thing just before I hit five.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

ReecesMum  (16-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Time out for 3 year old?

Yeah I've done a brief course on triple P through playgroup before but it's a bit blurry lol

I've done the time out for 3 minutes twice today with some minor hiccups. And I always make him say 'Sorry Mummy' and I also get him to say what he's sorry for. Eg; 'I'm sorry mummy for being rude to you' that way he knows why he was in time out. Will eefinately give the counting thing a go with timeout being the consequence for misbehaving or not listening.

I just guess doing it made me feel guilty and I need some re assurance that I'm doing the right thing LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have recently started using time out with DS1 a bit more who is 2 1/2.

I find if he's being a turd and I say to him clearly "mummy is going to count to 3. If you don't stop/do what I am asking you will have a time out." I've been more clear about the way I'm saying it and counting clearly for him for the past 2-3 days and I think he's been in time out twice? I've been really impressed at the change and it reminds me afterwards to praise when he IS being good!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

ReecesMum  (16-07-2015)