+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeling overwhelmed with the upcoming arrival of my 2nd baby

My 2nd baby is due in 8 weeks, making the age gap between my 1st and 2nd 2 years and 4 months. I have a sudden overwhelming feeling that I 'can't get everything done' as my due date gets closer! I wanted to have my 2 year old toilet trained, off the bottle and no longer using a dummy...sleeping through or just sleeping to a decent time would be good too! I can't seem to make any of these things happen πŸ˜₯ I am starting to feel stressed about having 2 babies in the house...does anyone have any advice?? What I should focus on? What is 'easiest' to take away? Any help would be great😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Feeling overwhelmed with the upcoming arrival of my 2nd baby

I'm the same but due in 6.5 weeks.
    My boy isn't toilet trained, but he also isn't showing signs of being ready, so leaving it for when it's warmer and he is ready.
    Bottle, we only have 1 at night before bed which I wanted him to give up before this one pops but he loves it so much and has been sick so thinking sippy cup in the next week or so. But they say not to make any huge changes around when buns is due so I don't know....
    It's hard but I reckon maybe work on the sleeping issue, the others can wait. At least if you have the sleeping sorted you may be able to get a rest overnight for a few hours and only have to concentrate one one iykwim.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself, or your toddler as they will pick up on it. Also I think it's quiet natural to feel overwhelmed, we are thinking exactly the same thing and freaking out too. It's going to be a crazy few months until you sort out a bit of a routine and come to grips with the changing dynamics of your family. Feeling the pressure too, had a mini freak out today lol
    Last edited by Nala9000; 17-07-2015 at 21:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alana269 View Post
    My 2nd baby is due in 8 weeks, making the age gap between my 1st and 2nd 2 years and 4 months. I have a sudden overwhelming feeling that I 'can't get everything done' as my due date gets closer! I wanted to have my 2 year old toilet trained, off the bottle and no longer using a dummy...sleeping through or just sleeping to a decent time would be good too! I can't seem to make any of these things happen πŸ˜₯ I am starting to feel stressed about having 2 babies in the house...does anyone have any advice?? What I should focus on? What is 'easiest' to take away? Any help would be great😊
    I just had my 2nd a week ago. Towards the end I felt really panicked that I wasn't organised. I think that it's pretty normal.

I would focus on sleeping and bottle with your 2yo. Save toilet training for summer and dummy for Santa claus.

I've found this time around that I'm much more prepared I'm terms of the shock of having a baby brings to your life, this alone has meant I've coped much better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a similar age gap between my first 2, my DS1 wasn't toilet trained when DD came along and was still having bottles. I think he was sleeping through. I would work on the sleeping, because sleep is what you'll want when baby comes along!
    My DS1 couldn't climb up into the car by himself, and I found this annoying when DD was born, so I would work on that too if your older one doesn't already do this.
    My Second baby was an easy baby and great sleeper from day 1 (she doesn't sleep through now, and is almost 4!) so I found in the early months I still had time to give loads of attention to DS1 and toilet train etc. Also you might find you're at home a lot more with the babies sleeps, so good time to toilet train.
    It is a great age gap though, my 2 are the best of friends. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'll have a 2 year gap almost to the day. I figure mums of multiples can do it do can I lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a 22mth gap. We had dd1 TT by then as it suited us to do that early. Don't focus too much in sleeping as new babies can upset even the best sleeper. I would recommend you work on things slowly and not rush anything as toddlers can sense anxiety and feed of it.

I loved my gap .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (18-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a 20 month gap and found it great so this time we will have a 16 month gap.

I vaguely remember having a freak out and a should I try get DS1 to TT etc but decided against it as I didn't want him to just regress when DS2 arrived.

DS1 still isn't toilet trained (he's only 2 1/2) and that is the 1 thing I REALLY want to happen before number 3 in February as the idea of 3 in nappies sounds like hell to me

But go with the flow. I found that DS1 naturally grew up heaps when DS2 arrived and I can't even imagine my worries now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine are 20 months apart. DS was still in nappies and a cot when his sister was born. I accepted I had two babies and just went with it and waited until he was ready to progress to the next phases, not rush him because another baby was coming.

Embrace the chaos, they are so close now it's so lovely.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

kbf2plus2  (18-07-2015)