+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to go about becoming an egg donor

Hi everyone
    So I'm looking at becoming an egg donor and just looking for some tips. I'm a 20 year old smoker and looking to donate after I've quit smoking and maybe when I'm closer to 23.
    I have one beautiful son, and I'm 99% sure I am completely done and my family is complete (minus the puppy I want! Haha).
    But the needles everyday for a month in the stomach scares me and the one big one to mature the eggs really scares me!
    Does anyone have any personal experience or tips ?

I'm already getting questions like 'but then you'll have kids all over the place, won't you want to know them' and tbh the answer is no. They're not my kids. I didn't carry them, raise the , cuddle them when they were sick etc.
    what are you're thoughts in that subject?
    Do t get me wrong if they came looking for me I wouldn't turn then down, but IMO they're not my children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's a wonderful thing you want to do.

First you need to contact a local IVFclinic, they will give you counselling as part of the process, many also run information seminars for potential donors.

It's not really needles every day for a month, as an egg donor you'd probably only have a week-ish of needles then trigger injection, then the egg collection procedure and then you're done!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    clinics usually like you to have completed your own family before donating ... and being only 20 you may face some issues where clinics wont accept that you are finished.

HopefulK has given you some good advice - contact a local IVF clinic and talk to them. They have councellors who will help.

We have a section on here where women who are looking for a donor can post ... read some of their stories and perhaps respond if you feel you might like to talk to them (only 1 person at a time please).

we have a few threads here where people have posted about their whole journey

Here is Mel and Vee's story which is beautiful.

also see
    egg donor FAQ
    Info for potential donors
    who can be an egg donor

best wishes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have donated eggs to my sister, as well as doing IVF myself and I'm happy to answer any questions.

As a previous poster said, they like you to have completed your family. They will also talk to your partner and if he's not on board then you can't do it.

I only did about 10-14 days of needles. Probably 6 days of two needles, one to grow the follicules and one to stop you ovulating. But if you let them know you're not keen on too many needles they might be able to swap the latter for a nasal spray (which I found worse to be honest!).

You're doing a wonderful thing and it sounds like you're head is in the right spot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for the late reply and thank you all for the replies.
    I honestly think my family is complete with myself, DH and DS. I don't see myself having any more children because I haven't exactly coped too well being a mum.
    I'd love to do surrogacy but I don't think I'd be able to give up a baby I had carried.
    I will ring up an IVF clinic and talk to them, and I'll do some more research on everything
    I had a friend tell me today after I told her what I wanted to do, she told me I was selfish because I would be bring children I to the world and not really think of them as my children. Is there really this much judgment all around? I'm thinking of not telling anymore people only family and of course my DH.
    My DH is on board with it, he just says if I feel the need to do it, then go ahead. I dont think he honestly thinks it's too big of a deal.
    Do the needles hurt (for anyone who has done it) ? Thank you all x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes there is a lot of judgment , actually with anything fertility related there is judgment but mostly people are pretty supportive .

The needles aren't so bad , they make it super easy to self administer them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't understand why people would feel the need to judge, it's not like I'm trying to force anyone else to do it. As women we should be wanting to more things like this. I couldn't imagine being told I couldn't have my son naturally and would love to help people out who need that bit of extra help

And that makes me feel a bit better, I just need to remind myself, it's not for me. It's for someone else to be able to have their own little loving family

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Luanajo For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (17-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    People who judge have never had to face the prospect of infertility. Their attitude would change if they had.

It's weird with the needles, most of the time I was fine with them but some days they would hurt a lot more. No idea why. I did my own easily. I even administered my trigger shot at a work party .

In all honesty the needles aren't the hard bit, it's the monitoring. With my cycle my clinic was in Brisbane and I was in Melbourne and I only had a couple of scans done and that was it. With my donor cycle it was in Melbourne too and I had scans and blood tests every second morning. I got really over driving through peak hour to the other side of town.

Just so you know the scans are done internally. My favourite bit of a cycle is the sedation that comes with egg pick up. Yep I'm so deprived of sleep and alone time I look forward to a hospital procedure for the sedation...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't been a donor but I have done 3 cycles of IVF (all stim cycles). The needles are fine once you've done the first couple, you just need to get past that instinct that says "don't stab yourself!". Some needles are worse than others, the ones you do most frequently are super fine needles and if you do it quickly & correctly you'll barely feel it. You can numb the area with ice if that helps. I didn't bother.

The scans and blood tests are the most inconvenient part as they can be quite frequent, especially if your follicles take a little while to grow to sufficient size.

Egg collection was definitely the hardest part for me physically. It was done under a general anaesthetic but I had horrible pain afterwards. Apparently that's not common, it seems I have super sensitive ovaries.

The good thing about being a donor rather than doing it to conceive is that you don't have to use that awful progesterone! Yuck, horrid stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too have a lot of pain after egg collection, but I'm PCOS and produce a lot of eggs, usually around 20. Takes me about 5 days to recover.