+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Breastfeeding and wisdom teeth removal

Has anyone had their wisdom teeth out when they have been breastfeeding? Any limitations to what pain relief you could have? How long did it take? Were there any restrictions on when you could breastfeed afterwards?

The dentist said Id probably have to go under general for their removal. I'm organising a referral to a dental surgeon and then I'll talk to them more, just wanted an idea before my appointment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I have. I can't remember exactly how old DS was but he was feeding 2-4 times a day (depending on whether I was with him or not).

I had a GA and discussed breastfeeding with him (the anaesthetist) and he was of the opinion that if I feed before the surgery then that night it wouldn't be an issue. He said if I was concerned I could pump & dump one feed but I didn't bother.

He prescribed some anti inflammatories that were suitable and for pain relief, I had panadine forte but really only needed a few and moved on to just panadol after a day or two.

Best wishes with it all!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Remember women who've had caesareans get one hell of a painkiller cocktail of which there's no issues with breastfeeding.

I can't imagine they'd give you anything stronger than what you get for a caesarean.
    Good point! I never thought of it that way :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most anaesthetists would advise you to pump and dump for at least one feed post-op as the drugs for a GA last in the system for a lot longer than the ones you get for a Caesar. They normally last for approx 6hrs and they work differently to the Caesar ones and are normally higher dosages- remember you aren't normally asleep for a Caesar.

I think if you had a morning op though, you would discard one feed and then will be fine to feed that night. Good luck and enjoy the jelly and ice cream after!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Excited1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had to have a dnc for retained placenta when ds was about 4w old. I fed him right before I got knocked out and as soon as I woke up in recovery. The ops are about the same length of time (if you have stupid, difficult teeth like mine)... if the anaesthetist knows you are bf they give you something slightly different. I was assured by everyone that it was all ok and it was 😀

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Catkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my Caesar under GA and was able to breastfeed my DS as soon as I woke up in recovery, so I'm sure you'll be fine OP.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh, and despite having a chunk of my jawbone removed too, recovery was very fast for the wisdom teeth!! I looked like I had purple mumps for a lot longer than it hurt for... and codeine (60mg 4x daily anyway) is ok while bf too (my doc calculated the amount passed into milk) 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Thanks!

I was wondering how it would compare with a caesarean in terms of drugs and breastfeeding. I still feed my DS 4-5 times during the day plus night feeds so it sounds Like it wj be fine. I will confirm with the surgeon about whether I have to have a general. I just can't wait for the pain to go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @meredithgrey I was told by my consultant anaesthetist that for short ops they can tweak the meds as you have a twighlight not a complete ga so there were option with regards bf etc. I already have to have a slightly diff mix cos I get really sick afterwards otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post

Also the same drugs are used for a GA regardless of what surgery they're doing.
    Because of this post? I had assumed it was in response to my comment with regards telling the Anaesthetist that the op was breastfeeding to ensure that the appropriate drug mixture is given 😊
    Last edited by Catkin; 14-07-2015 at 22:33.